logo
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
28. April 2024, 22:55:19

Home Help Search Login RegisterWIKIUHSDR Download

Amateurfunk Sulingen
Diskussions- und Newsboard des DARC-Ortsverbandes I40  |  allgemeine Kategorie  |  OVI40 SDR Projekt (English AND German discussions around OVI40 SDR project) (Moderators: DF8OE, DL1PQ)  |  Topic: Intro & query re H7 <- zurück vorwärts ->
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
   Author  Topic: Intro & query re H7  (Read 5286 times)
G4KCM
Neuling

View Profile E-Mail
Intro & query re H7
« on: 24. January 2018, 11:09:10 »

Hello OVI40 group!  I have been following for some time and as this is my first post I would like to introduce myself as well as ask a question. (I'm not really sure where to post this so admins feel free to move this post).

I have been an active Radio Amateur radio for many years firstly G8TLE and then G4KCM, unfortunately my career has made me quite inactive for many years but I have recently retired and can enjoy the hobby to the full.  I have always been an avid constructor and find it fascinating how technology has moved forward.  My original profession was electronics and I consider it an honour to have seen technology move from thermionic valves to LDMOS and from core store (ferrite ring) memory to the amazing microprocessors and gigabyte solid state storage of today all of which I have worked with at various times.

Moving to the MCHF and OVI40.  I saw the MCHF emerge and built a version 0.4,  I like the concept and followed closely the developments of Chris, Clint and Andreas following now the developments of UHSDR and Git team, Thank you one and all!!  I am sure that my MCHF is like many of yours and has gone through many stages of modification!  I was therefore delighted to see the OVI40 project emerge from this group as feel the direction being taken is in line with my thinking. I have long been an admirer of the German radio clubs and their group projects.  I spent the last five years of my working life in Essen Germany but please excuse my lack of confidence to post in German!

Now to the OVI40, as soon as it became possible I ordered a UI board from Andreas who I must thank for his ongoing efforts and support to the project.  The parts have arrived (thank you again Andreas) and I am soon to start construction.

My question. I see from a number of posts people are considering installing an H7 processor rather than the F7. I do have an H7 and would like to install it, from some posts on GitHub I see that that the software is being ported to H7 and I was wondering what the status of this was?  I see this as a long term project and am very happy to build with the H7 and wait for the H7 firmware build release.  I wonder what others are doing?  If the development is likely to be in the long term I will install now the F7 and swap it later with the H7.

Best 73 - Clive, G4KCM
DL8EBD
positron
Urgestein

View Profile
Re:Intro & query re H7
« Reply #1 on: 24. January 2018, 11:22:02 »

Hi Clive,
welcome aboard from an old Essener guy....  I lived 28 years in Essen and now in Mülheim/Ruhr but still work in the south of Essen (Werden)
Where did you live in Essen?

H7....
I construct two OVi40, hi
one with F7 and another with H7 but I think H7 is the feature with its 400MHz

PS: sorry for my english.... 
« Last Edit: 24. January 2018, 11:22:51 by DL8EBD » Logged

bitte keine technische Fragen oder Diskussionen via PN, dafür ist das Forum da.
vy73
Thomas
DF8OE
Administrator

Stellvertr. OVV I40, Jugend / Nachwuchsreferent

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: 24. January 2018, 12:46:38 »

Hi Clive,

nice to hear that parcel has arrived 

Porting of firmware to H7 is in the last stage. It is already working but needs some work before binaries will be published constantly. I am able to build firmware and bootloader for test purposes - but actually no releases of bleeding edge snapshots. I am sure we will start H7 binaries within the next month.

If you do have a H7 it is a very good idea to fit this instad of F7.

vy 73
Andreas

Wenn der Wind des Wandels weht, nageln die einen Fenster und Türen zu und verbarrikadieren sich. Die anderen gehen nach draußen und bauen Windmühlen...
qrz.com-Seite von DF8OE
-----------------------------------------------------
>>>> Die Inhalte meiner Beiträge dürfen ohne meine explizite Erlaubnis in jedwedem Medium weiterverbreitet werden! <<<<
G4KCM
Neuling

View Profile E-Mail
« Reply #3 on: 24. January 2018, 13:03:20 »

Hi Thomas,  thank you for your reply.  I used to have an apartment in Ruttenscheid,  it was quite close to where I used to work (one of the big energy companies).  Not quite so far South but a convenient area for me with lots of nice cake shops!

Yes a second board with the H7 could be an idea,  I am though not in a big rush to complete the UI and if it was only a matter of waiting a few weeks for the H7 port of the firmware I would go directly with the H7.  I also realise that the people contributing to the development have a life outside of UHSDR!

Best 73, Clive

p.s.  your English is fine and far better than my German 
G4KCM
Neuling

View Profile E-Mail
« Reply #4 on: 24. January 2018, 13:14:22 »

Ahhh thank you Andreas.  That’s the pointer I need,  I will build with the H7,  it’s a long term project for me so I have no problem waiting a while and even if it’s only a ‘test’ version initially that’s fine as well.

Best 73, Clive
DL8EBD
positron
Urgestein

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 24. January 2018, 13:36:14 »

Hello Andreas, that are good news with H7.
USB problem solved?

I have a second H7 on stock ready to change it on the other UI 

@Clive,
Rüttenscheid... I know it well... and the cake shops too (Café zucca e.g.  )
I think you were working at "R*E Tower" 

bitte keine technische Fragen oder Diskussionen via PN, dafür ist das Forum da.
vy73
Thomas
df9ts
positron
schon länger dabei

Ich liebe dieses Forum!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 24. January 2018, 17:35:28 »

Welcome Clive.

Thomas,
I got my OVI40 UI board working with H7 yesterday. Put the test load on with ST-Link V2. Works in principle (Display, buttons) - no way to test more since no RF board here.

Was very happy last night that the bring-up was so simple. Biggest obstacle was to solder the ST-Link adapter cable

As Andreas said no bootloader or firmware yet so  I put the board to rest. Will start assembling the other UI board with F7, same plan as you.

Gerd.
G4KCM
Neuling

View Profile E-Mail
« Reply #7 on: 24. January 2018, 18:38:36 »

Quote from: DL8EBD on 24. January 2018, 13:36:14
Hello Andreas, that are good news with H7.
USB problem solved?

I have a second H7 on stock ready to change it on the other UI 

@Clive,
Rüttenscheid... I know it well... and the cake shops too (Café zucca e.g.  )
I think you were working at "R*E Tower" 

Bullseye Thomas, though I was in the Huyssanallee office 
G4KCM
Neuling

View Profile E-Mail
« Reply #8 on: 24. January 2018, 18:42:11 »

Quote from: df9ts on 24. January 2018, 17:35:28
Welcome Clive.

Thomas,
I got my OVI40 UI board working with H7 yesterday. Put the test load on with ST-Link V2. Works in principle (Display, buttons) - no way to test more since no RF board here.

Was very happy last night that the bring-up was so simple. Biggest obstacle was to solder the ST-Link adapter cable

As Andreas said no bootloader or firmware yet so  I put the board to rest. Will start assembling the other UI board with F7, same plan as you.

Gerd.

Hi Gerd,  did you load the 'normal' binary with ST-Link?  I understand the main issues with H7 relate to the USB interfaces.  I have ST-Link so could also use that as a loader for initial function tests.

Best 73, Clive
df9ts
positron
schon länger dabei

Ich liebe dieses Forum!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 24. January 2018, 20:05:53 »

Clive,

at the moment you will need an ST-Link V2 adapter to connect to the UI boards SWD Debug interface for flashing the UI H7 board. Those adapters are very affordable and useful to have anyway.

As Andreas hinted: mchf (STM32F4), OVI40/F7 and OVI40/H7 will need specific binaries. For mchf and OVI40/F7 you find releases a well as "bleeding edge" daily builds on github. As Andreas said for H7 neither daily builds nor releases exist yet, so BL / FW for H7 not released yet.  Many things to do and since the STM32F7 performance is ample the H7 releases are not top of the list priorities.

I used a testbuild just to bring up the board, see my prior post. Consider the test build a proof of concept build to show that H7 works on OVUI40, just needs a bit more work.

I personally feel it's a tad early to use the H7 now - see also Andreas' remark to be patient. That said: if you are into Eclipse and microprocessor programming then now is the time to set up your SW build environment and help on the H7. You will get all the support needed here and on Github.

73 Gerd.
G4KCM
Neuling

View Profile E-Mail
« Reply #10 on: 24. January 2018, 21:39:58 »

Thanks Gerd,

I will be patient and whilst I do have the ST-Link adapter from a previous project I'm in no rush.  I started the build today and have installed the H7 which can wait until the software is ported across.

One of my retirement objectives is to resurrect my programming knowledge as it was about thirty years ago that I was writing embedded code for 8051/31 that I used to track satellites. I have more recently been using the Arduino IDE but I suspect Eclipse and and STM is a step too far for me right now.  Maybe though in the future, I would like to help.

Best 73, Clive
« Last Edit: 24. January 2018, 21:59:07 by G4KCM » Logged
df9ts
positron
schon länger dabei

Ich liebe dieses Forum!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 25. January 2018, 08:34:17 »

Clive,

please check this Wiki page before assemply:
https://www.amateurfunk-sulingen.de/wiki/doku.php?id=en:ovi40build:uiboardbuild

This is a summary of the forum discussion on building UI V1.8 batch 1.

Gerd.
G4KCM
Neuling

View Profile E-Mail
« Reply #12 on: 25. January 2018, 09:20:41 »

Quote from: df9ts on 25. January 2018, 08:34:17
Clive,

please check this Wiki page before assemply:
https://www.amateurfunk-sulingen.de/wiki/doku.php?id=en:ovi40build:uiboardbuild

This is a summary of the forum discussion on building UI V1.8 batch 1.

Gerd.

Appreciate the pointer Gerd,  I had been following the forum but didn’t realise it had been condensed into the wiki.  This is very useful especially for the identification codes. 

Best 73, Clive
DF8OE
Administrator

Stellvertr. OVV I40, Jugend / Nachwuchsreferent

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: 25. January 2018, 09:30:41 »

The WIKI shall become the 1st point where newcomers get all needed informations. We (especially Gerd) are working to swap all interesting informations to WIKI and hopefully there will be contribution by doing this. We are looking for contributors who translate the informations to other languages... It is a multilingual WIKI which allows manual translations and is highly appreciated for condensed informations.

vy 73
Andreas
« Last Edit: 25. January 2018, 09:31:25 by DF8OE » Logged

Wenn der Wind des Wandels weht, nageln die einen Fenster und Türen zu und verbarrikadieren sich. Die anderen gehen nach draußen und bauen Windmühlen...
qrz.com-Seite von DF8OE
-----------------------------------------------------
>>>> Die Inhalte meiner Beiträge dürfen ohne meine explizite Erlaubnis in jedwedem Medium weiterverbreitet werden! <<<<
G4KCM
Neuling

View Profile E-Mail
« Reply #14 on: 25. January 2018, 09:51:42 »

I'm happy to help out but I have to say that Google translate does a very good job in translating to the English language which I'm sure is attributable to the good quality German input. The searchable pdf for locating parts on the board is very useful.  It surprising how well component locations can sometimes hide themselves 

It would be good if a layout drawing for v1.8 could be added but I suspect there are only minor differences between v1.7 & 1.8 layout.

If I notice any issues I will correct or report.

Clive
« Last Edit: 25. January 2018, 09:53:47 by G4KCM » Logged
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
Diskussions- und Newsboard des DARC-Ortsverbandes I40  |  allgemeine Kategorie  |  OVI40 SDR Projekt (English AND German discussions around OVI40 SDR project) (Moderators: DF8OE, DL1PQ)  |  Topic: Intro & query re H7 <- zurück vorwärts ->
Jump to: 

Login with username, password and session length

Es wird die Verwendung von Browsern die auf der "Blink"-Engine basieren und mindestens
1024x768 Pixel Bildschirmauflösung für die beste Darstellung empfohlen

Amateurfunk Die Beiträge sind, sofern nicht anders vermerkt, unter der folgenden Lizenz veröffentlicht:
GNU Free Documentation License 1.3 GNU Free Documentation License 1.3
verbindet!