logo
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
14. May 2024, 18:09:02

Home Help Search Login RegisterWIKIUHSDR Download

Amateurfunk Sulingen
Diskussions- und Newsboard des DARC-Ortsverbandes I40  |  allgemeine Kategorie  |  OVI40 SDR Projekt (English AND German discussions around OVI40 SDR project) (Moderators: DF8OE, DL1PQ)  |  Topic: Intro & query re H7 <- zurück vorwärts ->
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
   Author  Topic: Intro & query re H7  (Read 5315 times)
peter_77
Urgestein

THE mcHF and UHSDR forum !

View Profile
Re:Intro & query re H7
« Reply #15 on: 25. January 2018, 16:19:43 »

Interesting would be also where you got the H7 ? Mouser and Digi Key (thats where "normal" people can order) have 30 weeks ! delivery time for the VIT model. 
G4KCM
Neuling

View Profile E-Mail
« Reply #16 on: 25. January 2018, 16:54:09 »

Quote from: peter_77 on 25. January 2018, 16:19:43
Interesting would be also where you got the H7 ? Mouser and Digi Key (thats where "normal" people can order) have 30 weeks ! delivery time for the VIT model. 

Hi Peter,  I bought mine a few weeks ago from Farnell UK. I was buying some other stuff and saw the 144 pin H7 in stock so I bought one. At the time they had around thirty. I have just checked and they now have zero stock with new stock shown arriving 5th March so a bit better than Mouser and Digi-Key.

Clive
« Last Edit: 26. January 2018, 02:57:23 by G4KCM » Logged
DL8EBD
positron
Urgestein

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 25. January 2018, 17:07:14 »

Peter, Farnell hatte zwischen Weihnachten und Neujahr knapp 100 am Lager.
Hatte ich hier mehrfach bekannt gegeben.... und selber zwei eingekauft.

Die kommen aber wieder, nur Geduld!

bitte keine technische Fragen oder Diskussionen via PN, dafür ist das Forum da.
vy73
Thomas
DD4WH
positron
alter Hase

Ich liebe dieses Forum!

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 25. January 2018, 18:12:41 »

Hi guys!

Nice to hear that the H7 gains so much interest!

However, I have some problems in understanding why we would need such a fast processor. From my understanding a fast processor always is more power hungry. Our rig is meant to be a portable rig and as such we need a moderate power need. So going for an ever higher processing power (with higher power needs) does not help very much.

One reason to have the H7 -from my view- would be to use the H7 at a much lower CPU speed (<< 400MHz, maybe 100MHz?) in order to be able to save power and have it needing less current than the F7 at the moment. In fact, I am often thinking about using the mcHF UI again, because the F7 needs so much current that my batteries are drained quite fast in RX ;-).

Additionally the firmware for the F7 does have very very few features that the F4 is not able to achieve. And that is mainly because of RAM constraints, not because of CPU speed :-).

So maybe you could explain to me how we could achieve the goal of having a rig with low current needs for RX that has the adequate CPU power when we really need it (for things like noise reduction for example or for Controlled Envelope SSB, if someone is ever going to implement that ;-) --> but again, that only makes sense in QRP, when you want to maximize your clean SSB power output). Surely the F7/H7 are not in that league, because they draw too much current (with about 500mA current drain for OVI40 plus RF board :-( ).

My hope is that the H7 will be able to save current drain and not deliver so much CPU power that no one will ever need. Of course, if we are talking about driving really big screens, it will come into play, but then I do not see the point of having an IQ SDR with a really big screen as my base station --> I would take a direct sampling SDR instead which does not cost much more (well, maybe double the price :-)), but is much better in every respect (and draws a lot of current!).

So, to summarize:

- My wish for the H7 would be a low power implementation of that chip (or at least an option to switch on a low power mode)
- the reason for this is, that I see the mcHF / OVI40 as portable rigs which have the need for low RX current drain

--> no need to go to the field with a polished Ferrari with 400hp / PS, I would like a high technology E-bike with intelligent power management instead :-)

Just my opinion/two cents :-), would love to hear your view of that!

73 Frank
« Last Edit: 25. January 2018, 18:44:42 by DD4WH » Logged

-----------------------------------------
Teensy Convolution SDR
https://github.com/DD4WH/Teensy-ConvolutionSDR
DL8EBD
positron
Urgestein

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 25. January 2018, 19:01:07 »

mcHF UI in RX mode with 3,2" TFT full backlight and mcHF RF board : 334mA
OVI40 UI F7 in RX mode with 3,5" TFT full backlight and mcHF RF board: 440mA

Andreas wird mit der OVI40 RF Platine effizientere Spannungsregler einführen
was eine deutlich geringere Stromaufnahme zur Folge hat wie wir ja schon in Dortmund sehen konnten.

Da der H7 der modernere Prozessor ist, ist nicht zu erwarten dass er mehr Strom wie der F7 aufnimmt.

Vielleicht kann Gerd mal die Stromaufnahme seines H7 Boards messen. Ich bin leider noch nicht so weit
« Last Edit: 25. January 2018, 19:02:55 by DL8EBD » Logged

vy73
Thomas
df9ts
positron
schon länger dabei

Ich liebe dieses Forum!

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 25. January 2018, 19:50:09 »

V1.8 UI/H7:
- nur UI Board, kein Rf Board angeschlossen
- mit 3.5" Display
- H7 Testload
- nur +5V angeschlossen

Während der Fehlermeldung (kein Lo gefunden etc.) 250 mA
Wenn der UHSDR Bildschirm mit Spektrum gezeigt wird: 220 mA

Gruß

Gerd.
DL8EBD
positron
Urgestein

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 25. January 2018, 20:07:25 »

Danke Gerd!
zum besseren Vergleich hier mal mein F7 unter identischen Bedingungen.

V1.8 UI/F7
- nur UI Board, kein RF Board angeschlossen
- mit 3.5" Display volle Helligkeit
- aktuelle Firmware
- nur +5V angeschlossen

Während der Fehlermeldung (kein Lo gefunden etc.) 280 mA

Fazit:
H7 unter gleichen Bedingungen ca. 10% sparsamer

Und noch eins:

mcHF UI V0.5 / H4
- nur UI Board, kein RF Board angeschlossen
- mit 3.2" Display volle Helligkeit
- aktuelle Firmware
- nur +5V angeschlossen

Während der Fehlermeldung (kein Lo gefunden etc.) 240 mA
« Last Edit: 25. January 2018, 20:12:25 by DL8EBD » Logged

vy73
Thomas
peter_77
Urgestein

THE mcHF and UHSDR forum !

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 26. January 2018, 16:53:13 »

Quote:
I bought mine a few weeks ago from Farnell UK.
The problem is here that Farnell did NOT sell to "normal" endcustomers !
You need to have a business account there to order, which as a normal endcustomer you do'nt have. And this applies to the German or UK shop.
So Farnell is not an option here for John Average.
Mouser and DK = 30 weeks delivery time 
But Frank is right, there is no need for a hurry. So the 3rd board can wait and rest....
« Last Edit: 26. January 2018, 16:54:53 by peter_77 » Logged
df9ts
positron
schon länger dabei

Ich liebe dieses Forum!

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 26. January 2018, 17:28:48 »

Peter,

can share one H7 (I ordered at Mouser in December) at cost + posting, announced delivery for March 4, 2017.

Original delivery was for Feb 05, postponed to March - so not entirely sure when it arrives.
« Last Edit: 26. January 2018, 17:29:47 by df9ts » Logged
G4KCM
Neuling

View Profile E-Mail
« Reply #24 on: 26. January 2018, 19:05:02 »

Interesting about Farnell as I have been ordering from them here in the U.K. for many years now without a business account.  RS used to be business only but changed and now anyone can order.  Indeed RS in the UK seem to now offer free shipping on all orders even for a single item and I tend to use them for most components I need. It’s certainly a lot ‘safer’ than the online auction site!

As for the H7 processors power consumption and to add to the earlier post regarding the measured current drain the ST data says “The STM32H743/753 lines offer the performance of the Cortex-M7 core (with double-precision floating point unit) running up to 400 MHz while reaching 2 times better dynamic power consumption (Run mode) versus the STM32F7 lines.”

Clive
« Last Edit: 26. January 2018, 19:52:10 by G4KCM » Logged
AC9QP
Neuling

Ich liebe dieses Forum!

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 28. January 2018, 20:00:33 »

For a low RX consumption version the best bet will probably be using the H7, underclocking it to the same as the F7 and replacing IC6 with a buck converter as the CPU doesn't care about slightly noiser power. Switching the speaker amp with something like the PAM8408 (small Class-D output, runs off 5V bridge mode, only 8mA Iq) would also save a bit of juice.
« Last Edit: 28. January 2018, 20:08:38 by AC9QP » Logged
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
Diskussions- und Newsboard des DARC-Ortsverbandes I40  |  allgemeine Kategorie  |  OVI40 SDR Projekt (English AND German discussions around OVI40 SDR project) (Moderators: DF8OE, DL1PQ)  |  Topic: Intro & query re H7 <- zurück vorwärts ->
Jump to: 

Login with username, password and session length

Es wird die Verwendung von Browsern die auf der "Blink"-Engine basieren und mindestens
1024x768 Pixel Bildschirmauflösung für die beste Darstellung empfohlen

Amateurfunk Die Beiträge sind, sofern nicht anders vermerkt, unter der folgenden Lizenz veröffentlicht:
GNU Free Documentation License 1.3 GNU Free Documentation License 1.3
verbindet!