logo
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
19. April 2024, 19:19:05

Home Help Search Login RegisterWIKIUHSDR Download

Amateurfunk Sulingen
Diskussions- und Newsboard des DARC-Ortsverbandes I40  |  allgemeine Kategorie  |  OVI40 SDR Projekt (English AND German discussions around OVI40 SDR project) (Moderators: DF8OE, DL1PQ)  |  Topic: NR slightly too strong <- zurück vorwärts ->
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
   Author  Topic: NR slightly too strong  (Read 4166 times)
SP9SOY
Neuling

Ich liebe dieses Forum!

View Profile E-Mail
Re:NR slightly too strong
« Reply #15 on: 14. March 2019, 13:17:55 »

Hi Andreas,
OK, I understand.  However, I think the "NR asnr" value should be possible to be set and saved, or - a better idea  -  removed from the Menu and automatically correlated with "NR level". In this way,  if NR level is set low be the user, the sound will be even cleraer and sharper,  and if NR level is set high, the sound would be smooth and damped as it is now. This is my idea, and believe me, I know very well and I own different NR reduction systems from major manufactueres, as well as from specialized companies, like BHI (UK).
Nonetheless I must emphasise here, that I consider the UHSDR noise reduction as a top performance implementation.!
Alex
DF8OE
Administrator

Stellvertr. OVV I40, Jugend / Nachwuchsreferent

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: 14. March 2019, 15:02:35 »

Hi Alex,

as I already wrote: Settings in "Debug" are temporarily and will be removed at a given time. We will think about the "how".

vy 73
Andreas

Wenn der Wind des Wandels weht, nageln die einen Fenster und Türen zu und verbarrikadieren sich. Die anderen gehen nach draußen und bauen Windmühlen...
qrz.com-Seite von DF8OE
-----------------------------------------------------
>>>> Die Inhalte meiner Beiträge dürfen ohne meine explizite Erlaubnis in jedwedem Medium weiterverbreitet werden! <<<<
DD4WH
positron
alter Hase

Ich liebe dieses Forum!

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 15. March 2019, 20:29:07 »

Hi Alex,

thanks for your suggestions on the NR level settings! You seem to be one of the very few people who have ever reported on their prefered settings of these DEBUG NR settings.

At the moment, the NR strength setting only sets one parameter:

NR alpha, which is 0.799 + NR strength / 1000, so it can go from 0.804 to 0.999

Other NR settings (in DEBUG menu) are:

NR beta 0.7 to 0.999 (default 0.96)

NR asnr 2 to 30 (default 30)

NR smooth width 1 to 5 (default 4)

NR smooth threshold 10 to 100 (default 40)

So, what I would like to find out is:

What are your favorite settings of these parameters for different situations (eg. high SNR, intermediate SNR, low SNR, extreme DX)?

And your suggestion of automatic setting of asnr with lower settings of NR strength is very interesting! What would you suggest? How should we set asnr when NR strength is from 1 to 10? from 11 to 50? from 51 to 100? >100 ?

Would be very nice of you could report your preferences here! I would like to integrate them into the NR strength adjustment.

My goal is to have one "NR strength" adjustment, that takes care of all other relevant internal parametres (asnr, beta etc.)

All the best 73s

Frank DD4WH

-----------------------------------------
Teensy Convolution SDR
https://github.com/DD4WH/Teensy-ConvolutionSDR
SP9SOY
Neuling

Ich liebe dieses Forum!

View Profile E-Mail
« Reply #18 on: 16. March 2019, 12:32:28 »

Dear Frank,

Thank you for your interest in my findings.
I actually noticed that the operation of NR is (in my opinion) too strong at minimum NR setting (5 or even 1). The sound is a bit damped and has and "underwater" touch.  Of course NR works really fine, but it makes an effect that one could expect at a higher NR setting.
However, if the "NR asnr" is lowered, the sound becomes more clear and sharp. This is what could better correspond to NR level "1".

I observed, that for strong and readable signals as well NR as NR_asnr could be easily set higher, because a strong NR action does not degrade a powerful audio. However, for weak stations, lower settings ought be used in order to protect readibility of vulnerable signals.
So I propose to combine the "NR asnr" parameter with NR setting.  Perhaps a simple formula could be first tested :  NR_asnr=a+NR*3/20,  where NR=NR strength set by user and a=minimum N_asnr value (I don't know wheter it could be 0, 1 or 2?).

Thanks for developing such an advanced and clever software transceiver,
Bests,
Alex SP9SOY
SP9SOY
Neuling

Ich liebe dieses Forum!

View Profile E-Mail
« Reply #19 on: 16. March 2019, 14:41:34 »

an Addendum

It seems to me that Andreas DF8EO may not like low NR_asnr levels.
Therefore, I propose here another scheme, where reduced NR_asnr level  is set only on the low end of the NR Strength scale:

NR Strength 1-5    ->  NR_asnr =2 (or less if applicable)
NR Strength 6-15  ->  NR_asnr =5
NR Strength 20-45 ->  NR_asnr =10
NR Strength >50    ->  NR_asnr =30

Bests, Alex SP9SOY
DF8OE
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: 16. March 2019, 17:17:03 »

Hi Alex,

I will check the result. Because of I never have had used NR with < 50 all settings are best "as they are". But the settings would not be changed if we use your approach. I will listen the bands using your suggestions.

Many thanks for your efforts!

vy 73
Andreas

Wenn der Wind des Wandels weht, nageln die einen Fenster und Türen zu und verbarrikadieren sich. Die anderen gehen nach draußen und bauen Windmühlen...
qrz.com-Seite von DF8OE
>>>> Die Inhalte meiner Beiträge dürfen ohne meine explizite Erlaubnis in jedwedem Medium weiterverbreitet werden! <<<<
SP9SOY
Neuling

Ich liebe dieses Forum!

View Profile E-Mail
« Reply #21 on: 20. March 2019, 17:09:41 »

Hello,
I did more tests last days, and I agree with Andreas that the best Noise Elimination's result is at the highest NR_asnr settings (30).  The NR Strength was set high too. The resulting sound is smooth, pleasant and the noise background attenuated.
When the NR Strength is set low, however, the sound would be clearer if the NR_asnr parameter is set low too.
This is what I found.
All the bests to the developers and all readers,
Alex
DF8OE
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: 20. March 2019, 17:21:58 »

I will do some observations too and I think we will reduce NR_asnr correspondent to NR strength if strength is lower than 15... (number may vary as a result of my observations).

But that is not my normal working condition. Normally first iI try to let my brain do noise reduction and if that becomes difficult I switch on NR - with setting 50. That helps very much.

vy 73
Andreas

qrz.com-Seite von DF8OE
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
Diskussions- und Newsboard des DARC-Ortsverbandes I40  |  allgemeine Kategorie  |  OVI40 SDR Projekt (English AND German discussions around OVI40 SDR project) (Moderators: DF8OE, DL1PQ)  |  Topic: NR slightly too strong <- zurück vorwärts ->
Jump to: 

Login with username, password and session length

Es wird die Verwendung von Browsern die auf der "Blink"-Engine basieren und mindestens
1024x768 Pixel Bildschirmauflösung für die beste Darstellung empfohlen

Amateurfunk Die Beiträge sind, sofern nicht anders vermerkt, unter der folgenden Lizenz veröffentlicht:
GNU Free Documentation License 1.3 GNU Free Documentation License 1.3
verbindet!