logo
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
26. April 2024, 07:48:26

Home Help Search Login RegisterWIKIUHSDR Download

Amateurfunk Sulingen
Diskussions- und Newsboard des DARC-Ortsverbandes I40  |  allgemeine Kategorie  |  UHSDR Firmware (Moderators: DF8OE, DL1PQ)  |  Topic: neues Noise Reduction - Feedback <- zurück vorwärts ->
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 Go Down Print
   Author  Topic: neues Noise Reduction - Feedback  (Read 9616 times)
DB4PLE
positron
Urgestein

View Profile
Re:neues Noise Reduction - Feedback
« Reply #60 on: 16. December 2017, 22:11:48 »

Hi,

my analysis reveals the unfortunate but expected result: The problem is also in the digital data send out to USB. And is has exactly the frequency of the the speed. Before my recent changes to the spectrum code the problem was most likely already there but due to the previously somewhat indeterministic timing of the display updates harder to recognize in the normal noise.  Now we clock the updates exactly and well, you can hear that especially with no antenna connected.
And it affects both parallel and SPI displays and both mcHF and OVI40 (I used an OVI40 UI with mcHF RF). It may be more pronounced with the mcHF UI board (can't tell) but it is not a mcHF specific issue.

Danilo

PY3CRX_PY2PLL
Neuling

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: 16. December 2017, 22:14:26 »

Hi Danilo, I did what U had mentioned: listen USB audio.

It's the same I listen on speakers.

When we say sweep noise, in fact it's more like gaps than spikes.

Anyway, I'm aware abt processor limits. Still a GREAT project. QSD + SAM much comfortable to long listening periods BC-DX.

Time to build a case to this rig 

Marcus Ramos
PY3CRX + PY2PLL
S B Campo - SP - BRA
GG66rf
DF8OE
Administrator

Stellvertr. OVV I40, Jugend / Nachwuchsreferent

View Profile WWW
« Reply #62 on: 17. December 2017, 17:49:45 »

I have just tested using OVI40-UI and OVI40-RF. There is absolutely no rhythmic noise.

Of course each digital processing generates noise. But it seems that there can be done much by PCB designs to strongly reduce that...

vy 73
Andreas

Wenn der Wind des Wandels weht, nageln die einen Fenster und Türen zu und verbarrikadieren sich. Die anderen gehen nach draußen und bauen Windmühlen...
qrz.com-Seite von DF8OE
-----------------------------------------------------
>>>> Die Inhalte meiner Beiträge dürfen ohne meine explizite Erlaubnis in jedwedem Medium weiterverbreitet werden! <<<<
DB4PLE
positron
Urgestein

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: 17. December 2017, 17:56:08 »

Hi Andreas,

how reproduced the issue:
- OVI40 UI + mcHF RF
- Dummy Load
- Spectrum Light On
- NR off or on
- AGC default settings, any AGC value

Switching between menu / no menu makes sound change obvious. And you can see it in the PC USB recording clearly.

Danilo

DF8OE
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #64 on: 17. December 2017, 18:22:41 »

Yes - I have tested. But OVI40 RF is different from mcHF.

OVI40 RF shows -130dBm @80m with no antenna connected. At 30MHz it shows -135dBm. McHF is muuuuch different. OVI40 RF is much smoother, nearly "silent" compared to mcHF RF. And the sound is again better. I think this is related to "full true QSD" design. And NO preamp needed. There is a preamp (switchable) - you do need it definitely at higher bands (15m and higher). It is software adjustable in gain. And there is an attenuator (switchable via software). This design seems to elminiate all known issues which exist on mcHF.

OK - some cents expensiver. But I do not want to design crop which is the result of "saving" too much money...

vcy 73
Andreas
« Last Edit: 17. December 2017, 18:26:03 by DF8OE » Logged

Wenn der Wind des Wandels weht, nageln die einen Fenster und Türen zu und verbarrikadieren sich. Die anderen gehen nach draußen und bauen Windmühlen...
qrz.com-Seite von DF8OE
>>>> Die Inhalte meiner Beiträge dürfen ohne meine explizite Erlaubnis in jedwedem Medium weiterverbreitet werden! <<<<
DD4WH
positron
alter Hase

Ich liebe dieses Forum!

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: 17. December 2017, 18:26:14 »

Hi Andreas,

OVI40 + mcHF has the same noise, so it is not a question of ground loops in the ui board.

73 Frank

-----------------------------------------
Teensy Convolution SDR
https://github.com/DD4WH/Teensy-ConvolutionSDR
DF8OE
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #66 on: 17. December 2017, 18:30:14 »

Sorry. At the moment I do not have possibility to take a video. It would dsay more than thousand words.

New DSP NR is working perfectly under all working conditions on OVI40 UI and RF. Absolutely no click to hear - neither with NR activated or not. Of course I use Spectrum light.

vy 73
Anreas

qrz.com-Seite von DF8OE
DB4PLE
positron
Urgestein

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: 17. December 2017, 19:45:30 »

Hi,

I forgot: 80m shows highest volume of the effect. On higher bands not so pronounce or even inaudible.

Danilo
peter_77
Urgestein

THE mcHF and UHSDR forum !

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: 18. December 2017, 10:10:13 »

Here is a video showing the noise effect.
First scene is NR on with Scope light ON and second is Scope light OFF.
You can clearly hear the sweeping noise with scope light enabled and also clearly the sound bursts when opening and closing the menues while scope light is off.

(Download file with a right click and rename it to "noise.mov" and open with VLC player or equivalent.

Noise-mov.txt
« Last Edit: 18. December 2017, 10:16:53 by peter_77 »
DF8OE
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #69 on: 18. December 2017, 11:19:49 »

...and here is a video showing DSP NR on/off on OVI40 with OVI40-RF...

LCD 3.5" 480x320, scope light AND waterfall simultaneously, 80m QSO

https://www.amateurfunk-sulingen.de/data/uploads/m2u00066-20171218-120943.webm

vy 73
Andreas
« Last Edit: 18. December 2017, 11:23:39 by DF8OE » Logged

qrz.com-Seite von DF8OE
S53DZ
schon länger dabei

Ich liebe dieses Forum!

View Profile WWW E-Mail
« Reply #70 on: 18. December 2017, 13:47:57 »

Hi,

As it was already said, the only thing that really lowers or out-nulls the LCD refresh noise is putting the UI and RF boards of an mcHF 90° off.
http://lea.hamradio.si/~s53dz/arhiv/7-SDR/1-mcHF/1-mods/mcHF_90deg_inside.jpg
I maid the modification this way and the result concerning the noise was excellent. Of course, said that, one have to find a mechanical solution for the enclosure, ...

On the other UI board I have changed the LCD from SPI to parallel and that helps also a little.

73 Bojan
DF8OE
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #71 on: 18. December 2017, 13:51:13 »

Do you have listened to my video? Boards are NOT 90° fitted...

vy 73
Andreas

qrz.com-Seite von DF8OE
S53DZ
schon länger dabei

Ich liebe dieses Forum!

View Profile WWW E-Mail
« Reply #72 on: 18. December 2017, 15:48:13 »

But of course, Andreas,

As I said, my example was with the mcHF UI/RF and yours is with OVI/OVI boards! I believe you that you have solved some PCB layout troubles on OVI/OVI setup to get better results.

BTW, I am talking about small interference in audio at no signal at the antenna input and using headphones, whereas you, on the other side, are showing a video of a QSO and audio from the loudspeaker. Different things, don't you think?

73 Bojan
DF8OE
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #73 on: 18. December 2017, 15:56:45 »

Yes - of course different. My video was meant in contrast to peter_77's video which shows heavy unwanted things.

At OVI40 RF I can disconnect antenna and apply headphones. There are some interferences where I cannot say what is its origin (one per MHz, not defined spaces) - but none related to power supply or MCU/LCD...

vy 73
Andreas

qrz.com-Seite von DF8OE
DD4WH
positron
alter Hase

Ich liebe dieses Forum!

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: 10. January 2018, 21:47:07 »

Michael DL2FW has implemented a new algorithm for the spectral noise reduction, which seems very promising, although still in alpha version.

Now we have three algorithms implemented for testing:

1.) Activate NR with the DSP box
2.) Choose algorithm in the debug menu (DEBUG menu -> NR Mode), the new one is called "Devel2"
3.) adjust parameters
4.) please report back your experience ! :-)

ADJUSTMENTS FOR DEVEL2 (noise estimation by MMSE following Gerkmann & Hendriks 2012)
* alpha = NR setting in DSP box = smoothing constant for SNRprio calculation

in DEBUG menu   
* tax = smoothing time constant for noise power estimate (in milliseconds) [default: 72ms]
* tap = smoothing time constant for smoothed speech probability (in milliseconds) [default: 152ms]
* asnr = active SNR in dB [default 15dB]
* SNR prio min = minimum value for SNRprio estimator [default 15dB]
* all other NR settings are ignored by the devel2 algorithm

Sorry, the algorithm is quite complex now and behaves non-linearly, so I am not able to tell you anything about a "correct" setting. Please try and enjoy!

We would be very happy, if anybody could provide us with prefered settings and listening experiences !!!

WIKI:
https://github.com/df8oe/UHSDR/wiki/Noise-reduction

-----------------------------------------
Teensy Convolution SDR
https://github.com/DD4WH/Teensy-ConvolutionSDR
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 Go Up Print 
Diskussions- und Newsboard des DARC-Ortsverbandes I40  |  allgemeine Kategorie  |  UHSDR Firmware (Moderators: DF8OE, DL1PQ)  |  Topic: neues Noise Reduction - Feedback <- zurück vorwärts ->
Jump to: 

Login with username, password and session length

Es wird die Verwendung von Browsern die auf der "Blink"-Engine basieren und mindestens
1024x768 Pixel Bildschirmauflösung für die beste Darstellung empfohlen

Amateurfunk Die Beiträge sind, sofern nicht anders vermerkt, unter der folgenden Lizenz veröffentlicht:
GNU Free Documentation License 1.3 GNU Free Documentation License 1.3
verbindet!