logo
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
25. April 2024, 20:00:13

Home Help Search Login RegisterWIKIUHSDR Download

Amateurfunk Sulingen
Diskussions- und Newsboard des DARC-Ortsverbandes I40  |  allgemeine Kategorie  |  UHSDR Firmware (Moderators: DF8OE, DL1PQ)  |  Topic: {done} error: flash memory to small <- zurück vorwärts ->
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Go Down Print
   Author  Topic: {done} error: flash memory to small  (Read 7123 times)
Keine Ahnung wer der Idiot ist:p
schon länger dabei

View Profile
{done} error: flash memory to small
« on: 09. July 2019, 06:10:56 »

Hi OM, YL, SWL's
today I compile the changed firmware file out of the eclipse development tool without any errors. The file.bin is 614kb and if I want to flash it via usb stick, I get following error code:

error 3 - flash memory to small

Any solution? How to compress? What can I do?

73 Dirk de DL
« Last Edit: 12. July 2019, 20:39:29 by MFT » Logged
DF8OE
Administrator

Stellvertr. OVV I40, Jugend / Nachwuchsreferent

View Profile WWW
Re:error: flash memory to small
« Reply #1 on: 09. July 2019, 06:33:54 »

Hi Dirk,

I do not use Eclipse (I am building firmware on Linux CLI using "make"), so just hints:

614KB is very big. I think you have linked much debugging informations which is not needed for running the firmware. But 614KB fits into all MCUs because of they do have flash >= 1MB (or do you have used outdated 512KB MCU?? I hope not...)

Whatever you do have changed - your setup and/or import to Eclipse seems to be not the same we have described in WIKI... But there are many, many settings if you use Eclipse which can impact. I am not sure I have noticed correct you are using a Mac with Unix-like operating system? If so you can test a build using "make"...

EDIT:
For Eclipse it impacts what version of Eclipse you are using. There are slight differences between the versions so that it may be you have to review your settings...

vy 73
Andreas
« Last Edit: 09. July 2019, 06:42:42 by DF8OE » Logged

Wenn der Wind des Wandels weht, nageln die einen Fenster und Türen zu und verbarrikadieren sich. Die anderen gehen nach draußen und bauen Windmühlen...
qrz.com-Seite von DF8OE
-----------------------------------------------------
>>>> Die Inhalte meiner Beiträge dürfen ohne meine explizite Erlaubnis in jedwedem Medium weiterverbreitet werden! <<<<
schon länger dabei

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 09. July 2019, 07:25:09 »

Hi Andreas,
I'm a hardcore beginner and had now know-how in software development.

Here my informations to the software I use.
1. Java 1.8+ VM
(12.1 SDK)
2. GNU Arm Embedded Toolchain
(gcc-arm-none-eabi-8-2018-q4-major-mac.tar.bz2)
3. Eclipse IDE for C/C++ Development
(2019-06)
4.GNU MCU Eclipse
(4.5.1)

I don't change any settings inside Eclipse just check the format in the project to use the right template. I start a new workplace and import again. I do exactly the process y written down and after the bin-file has been created its still 614kb without any changes inside.
« Last Edit: 09. July 2019, 07:51:43 by MFT » Logged
DF8OE
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: 09. July 2019, 08:01:34 »

Hi Dirk,

maybe it is the version of Eclipse. I by myself have verified everything is working fine using Eclipse up to

Version: 2018-12 (4.10.0)
Build id: 20181214-0600

I do not think java-version can have any influence.

You can check if it is relatd to Eclipse or anything else you can build a binary using command line:

• open a terminal
  • cd /to/the/directory/your/uhsdr/is/placed/mchf-eclipse/ (change to mchf-eclipse directory)
  • make all (build binaries for mcHF firmware)

After doing that you should have .hex, .bin and .dfu files in your mchf-eclipse folder. If the size is matching now your problem is located at Eclipse and its settings. If the file size is very big again there is another  problem...

Feedback welcome!

vy 73
Andreas
« Last Edit: 09. July 2019, 08:02:34 by DF8OE » Logged

Wenn der Wind des Wandels weht, nageln die einen Fenster und Türen zu und verbarrikadieren sich. Die anderen gehen nach draußen und bauen Windmühlen...
qrz.com-Seite von DF8OE
>>>> Die Inhalte meiner Beiträge dürfen ohne meine explizite Erlaubnis in jedwedem Medium weiterverbreitet werden! <<<<
schon länger dabei

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 09. July 2019, 08:21:12 »

Ok Andreas,

now I reinstall Eclipse and the GNU MUC engine too.
Update all and import the zip-file to a new workspace.

I need to debug first, right, to start the "make all" command?

PS: Isn't my passion;) But I give them a tray:)
« Last Edit: 09. July 2019, 08:23:47 by MFT » Logged
DF8OE
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: 09. July 2019, 08:25:36 »

You do not need Eclipse at all for a CLI build.  All is working using the toolchain (gcc) and "make". It is just typing a handful commands and all is working without any mouse moving  If you are building binaries Eclipse does nothing else as translating your clicks and mouse movements to CLI commands. But these commands are not the same as you are just using command "make". I am nearly sure make is in standard installation of MAC OS/X...

Please follow the steps of my last post.

vy 73
Andreas
« Last Edit: 09. July 2019, 08:26:10 by DF8OE » Logged

qrz.com-Seite von DF8OE
schon länger dabei

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 09. July 2019, 08:55:33 »

Andreas,
on macOS the toolchain isn't implemented.
I have to copy them into /opt directory manually for eclipse to find automatically.

ok, now I extract the zip-file.
If I start command (make all) inside i get this error:

Dirks-MacBook:mchf-eclipse $ make all
make: gsed: Command not found
fatal: not a git repository (or any of the parent directories): .git
  [CC] basesw/mcHF/Src/startup_stm32f407xx.o
make: arm-none-eabi-gcc: No such file or directory
make: *** [basesw/mcHF/Src/startup_stm32f407xx.o] Error 1
« Last Edit: 09. July 2019, 09:15:28 by MFT » Logged
DF8OE
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: 09. July 2019, 09:13:51 »

Of course toolchain isn't implemented - but you have installed it.

Again: I do not have any experience using commercial OS - I only have experience in working with Linux...

It seems that Mac OS/X has moved far away from Unix so that I cannot give you any further hints. And I cannot give hints which do not base on fundamental operating system knowledges.

For buliding binaries using "make" you need:

• installed and correctly integrated in PATH environment variables "gnu-arm-gcc-toolchain"
  • installed and correctly integrated in PATH environment variables needed arm libraries
  • installed and correctly integrated in PATH environment variables "make"

Running Linux I only need the package manager (apt on Debian based systems, pacman/yay on Arch based systems) and let them do the installation. I thought it is similar on Mac but it seems I am wrong.

We can approach from two sides and maybe it is easier for you to see if your produced binaries are working (and not just binary garbage)... Why do you get a "flash to small" error? How much flash does your MCU have (what kind of radio do you use)?

vy 73
Andreas

qrz.com-Seite von DF8OE
schon länger dabei

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 09. July 2019, 09:16:53 »

512kb, I take a look inside the system info of the model.

PS: Andreas, I just want to make a litte change in the fw for the correct cut-of frequencies and to open (if possible) the rx side put to 4m for listening only. Can y do the canes for me and send me the ready to use fw to flash?!

I#m not a coder and I less my fun in moment ;(
« Last Edit: 09. July 2019, 09:22:02 by MFT » Logged
DF8OE
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: 09. July 2019, 10:11:14 »

You cannot RX on 4m with existing hardware. Band cuts are without impact on RX so no changes neccessary.

And I can confirm that the "large binary" is related to the new Ecliplse 2019-6. I set up a test environment here and get the same results... Because of I normally work on console and do not use Eclipse this was out of focus for me.

This is interesting but I cannot help here at the moment.

New build binaries with changed band cuts are just cosmetic and not neccesary.

512KB?? That sounds like "cheap chinese clones"... They do use small MCU to save a few pennies and make much trouble for future firmwares >480KB

vy 73
Andreas

qrz.com-Seite von DF8OE
schon länger dabei

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 09. July 2019, 10:27:53 »

I buy the Ailuance Retevis HS1plus model here in germany.
Don't want to buy a china build, but this is what I get.

The band cut's cosmetic is right, but I want to correct it for region 1.
RX on 4m isn't necessary just a mind, is 6m possible?

Thank y to make a test about different version.
I take a look for a other older one and try.

Whatever.. is there anybody who can create me the fw for my own use with my litte difference? Thanks!
DL8EBD
positron
Urgestein

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 09. July 2019, 10:50:17 »

Hello Dirk,
I can do it for you....  but I need some time, maybe this evening or tomorrow.
okay?

bitte keine technische Fragen oder Diskussionen via PN, dafür ist das Forum da.
vy73
Thomas
schon länger dabei

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 09. July 2019, 11:48:28 »

I installed Eclipse 2018-12 version on same gnu-mcu pack out if market. Also gcc-arm-none-eabi-8-2018-q4-major engine but same problem, file is 614kb big ;(
DB4PLE
positron
Urgestein

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 09. July 2019, 11:53:39 »

Hi,

short version: the Eclipse builds are larger than the makefile builds. So for 512k machines you have to compile using make to get a working binary.

The reason is a combination of two issues:
- The Eclipse build system cannot handle the very long command created if we build all sources files together on Windows. So we split the DSP code into a separate library.
- The compiler optimization -flto  cannot be applied to the library since not all all compiler tool chains can handle this for libraries.

The result is that we get somewhat larger binaries using Eclipse.

schon länger dabei

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 09. July 2019, 11:59:42 »

Ok and is there a fast easy solution for me to handle this here on my system?
I just do the basic instructions like the guide.

I also install eclipse on my windows 10 64-bit system, but if I run the debug I get a "to long path error" and it stops at step two. Shit happens;)
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Go Up Print 
Diskussions- und Newsboard des DARC-Ortsverbandes I40  |  allgemeine Kategorie  |  UHSDR Firmware (Moderators: DF8OE, DL1PQ)  |  Topic: {done} error: flash memory to small <- zurück vorwärts ->
Jump to: 

Login with username, password and session length

Es wird die Verwendung von Browsern die auf der "Blink"-Engine basieren und mindestens
1024x768 Pixel Bildschirmauflösung für die beste Darstellung empfohlen

Amateurfunk Die Beiträge sind, sofern nicht anders vermerkt, unter der folgenden Lizenz veröffentlicht:
GNU Free Documentation License 1.3 GNU Free Documentation License 1.3
verbindet!