logo
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
02. May 2024, 04:57:45

Home Help Search Login RegisterWIKIUHSDR Download

Amateurfunk Sulingen
Diskussions- und Newsboard des DARC-Ortsverbandes I40  |  allgemeine Kategorie  |  OVI40 SDR Projekt (English AND German discussions around OVI40 SDR project) (Moderators: DF8OE, DL1PQ)  |  Topic: LCD 3.5" DF8OE/SP9BSL <- zurück vorwärts ->
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] Go Down Print
   Author  Topic: LCD 3.5" DF8OE/SP9BSL  (Read 16327 times)
DF8OE
Administrator

Stellvertr. OVV I40, Jugend / Nachwuchsreferent

View Profile WWW
Re:LCD 3.5" DF8OE/SP9BSL
« Reply #60 on: 23. January 2018, 17:39:52 »

Hi Paul,

you have fixed your own issue - so everything is fine (except it has stolen you some time...)

Regarding "housings and cases":

OVI40 is NOT designed to fit in mcHF cases! RF-PCB will carry PCBs on its backside which are ~5cm long so will not fit in such small cases. There will be cases which are especialy designed for OVI40 - later  Firstly RF-PCB must be ready and some other work must be done - then designing of cases will start.

Regarding headers:
For compatibility reasons I recommend to put the female header on UI PCB. There exist some with a height of 5mm - these are the best. At LCD you must fit the male header. You can shorten the pins to a length of 3...4mmm so that LCD PCB is directly laying on female header.

vy 73
Andreas

Wenn der Wind des Wandels weht, nageln die einen Fenster und Türen zu und verbarrikadieren sich. Die anderen gehen nach draußen und bauen Windmühlen...
qrz.com-Seite von DF8OE
-----------------------------------------------------
>>>> Die Inhalte meiner Beiträge dürfen ohne meine explizite Erlaubnis in jedwedem Medium weiterverbreitet werden! <<<<
Paul C. H.
Neuling

Ich liebe dieses Forum!

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: 24. January 2018, 11:05:11 »

Quote from: DF8OE on 23. January 2018, 17:39:52
Regarding headers:
For compatibility reasons I recommend to put the female header on UI PCB. There exist some with a height of 5mm - these are the best. At LCD you must fit the male header. You can shorten the pins to a length of 3...4mmm so that LCD PCB is directly laying on female header.

vy 73
Andreas

found 5mm female header, minimal order quantity is 1000, but I am lucky enough as the seller gave me a free sample :- broken piece of a longer header with 23x2.  Okay to use if trim to 17x2, haha.

I think 5mm header is must.    Let's think of a mcHF with LCD 10mm above the UI, it is very difficult to design the metal case.

Also, received my 3.2inch LCD today.  Thanks.

Paul
« Last Edit: 24. January 2018, 11:17:53 by Paul C. H. » Logged

I understand only two German words.
with help of this forum,  I often change from "g-e-t-l-o-s-t"  to "g-e-l-ö-s-t".
what in front of me was feeling of "f-u-n-k", now it is a piece of almost working "f-u-n-k"
DF8OE
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #62 on: 24. January 2018, 12:39:22 »

Yes, 5mm is mandatory. Using this header button caps are ~2mm off the case and encoder knobs do fit. Here in Germany you can buy these headers i 1pcs. amounts.

I am astonished that it is difficult in China! I thought China is the paradise for DIY...

vy 73
Andreas

Wenn der Wind des Wandels weht, nageln die einen Fenster und Türen zu und verbarrikadieren sich. Die anderen gehen nach draußen und bauen Windmühlen...
qrz.com-Seite von DF8OE
>>>> Die Inhalte meiner Beiträge dürfen ohne meine explizite Erlaubnis in jedwedem Medium weiterverbreitet werden! <<<<
Paul C. H.
Neuling

Ich liebe dieses Forum!

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: 24. January 2018, 15:44:11 »

Quote from: DF8OE on 24. January 2018, 12:39:22
Yes, 5mm is mandatory. Using this header button caps are ~2mm off the case and encoder knobs do fit. Here in Germany you can buy these headers i 1pcs. amounts.
I am astonished that it is difficult in China! I thought China is the paradise for DIY...
vy 73
Andreas
Yes, easy and difficult!

9mm headers are easy to find.    I asked approximately 7 or 8 sellers and only 2 provides 5mm header.
Sellers here keep samples of many products in a very small stall of only 1 square meter.   
They are reluctant to retail sell their samples, and leave enough samples available for big-deal customers, hope if you or Chris go there and order one container of parts.

The 3.5" LCD actually works.    It didn't work yesterday only because of my wrong assumption (no solder temporary connection)

Paul

I understand only two German words.
with help of this forum,  I often change from "g-e-t-l-o-s-t"  to "g-e-l-ö-s-t".
what in front of me was feeling of "f-u-n-k", now it is a piece of almost working "f-u-n-k"
F4HTX
schon länger dabei

Scotty, energize...

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: 18. February 2018, 11:06:49 »

Dear Friends,

I am not sure where to post this, but anyway you might like this one...

After a couple weeks overhelmed by pro, I came back to my OVI-40 UI board, so I plugged it in, updated the bootloader and the firmware.

When I rebooted I was asked to calibrate the touchscreen, no problem it was expected but... impossible to enter the calibration screen, no way !

The touchscreen IC showed up in the menus, but no touchscreen working (it was working in the first place indeed).

I spent a significant amount of time searching the cause, finally here the story :

I got very early birds of  the production of those screens, with the sdo line and some components in the wrong orientation (Andreas, even Spock sleeps from time to time ). In order the straighten things, I unpopulated then repopulated the boards, cleaned it (isopropyl alcohol) and everything went fine.
But... when cleaning with isopropyl, a mix of it with the cleaned flux entered the J106 connector and after a couple weeks, the connections becamed unreliable.

I cleaned the connector and the ribbon, let both of them dry and... tada!!!

So when you clean things, you should beware of connectors, encoders, plugs, ...

73's

François

IMG_2061.JPG

SP9BSL
positron
alter Hase

View Profile WWW
« Reply #65 on: 18. February 2018, 12:04:44 »

Hi François,
yes, this is often problem with dirt in connectors came from soldering, especially with the one you can't see (inside of the J106). Be aware of the pins of J103 also, I had problems with 2.54 conector too. I know this pain, spent about an hour seeking what is wrong... Isopropyl solvent is the good helper.

73 Slawek
F4HTX
schon länger dabei

Scotty, energize...

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: 18. February 2018, 13:38:51 »

Hi Slawek,

You are right isopropyl is a good friend. What is new for me here, is that it was working and faulty after a couple week of drying...

By the way about J103, cutting the end of the pins might not be the best idea as it damages the female connector each time it's inserted, by scraping it.

I would rather solder the pins at the right depth and then cut the pins flush to the pcb, in order to get the J103 pins undamaged, and so the female connector on the UI board.

73's

François
DF8OE
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #67 on: 18. February 2018, 13:57:26 »

Hi François,

that is right but not as easy done as said.... For getting the height of the LCD as slim as possible it is neccessary to solder J103 in a way that the side which is located to LCD must not have any mountains (or standing up pins). The only way to get this is to solder the pins when the top of them are equal to the PCB top.

If you cut them at thos side you will damage PCB - regarding of working in different ways, but you will damage it. Any idea how to realize this is welcome!

vy 73
Andreas

qrz.com-Seite von DF8OE
SP3OSJ

« Reply #68 on: 18. February 2018, 14:04:01 »

It has to be done
 pin.jpg

DF8OE
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #69 on: 18. February 2018, 14:14:03 »

Hi Artur,

I have done this the way you show already. You can get the problematic parts "even" at the side of the pins which are showing right angle to the header. But the other sides of the pins will be "sharp".

This solves the problem 50%  - but not absolutely correct.

The only way I can imagine is to prepare a steel block which contains holes which have a deepness of the needed length of pins. Then you put in pins, shorten them at the upper end (now all have exactly same length), now get them off and solder the "cutted side" to PCB.

But:
Where can I get such a steel block? And how can I get pins out if they are shortened without getting them off piece by piece  (and some will not come out at all)

vy 73
Andreas

qrz.com-Seite von DF8OE
SP3OSJ

« Reply #70 on: 18. February 2018, 14:33:25 »

I do it like that: http://sp3osj.kooikerhondje.com.pl/eagle/LCD/page_01.htm
DF8OE
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #71 on: 18. February 2018, 15:15:36 »

Hi Artur,

nice documentation. And I would like to recommend that for 20p headers on mcHF. Can we use your photos for documentation in our WIKI? It is very good documentation!

But Francois and I am talking about double row 34p header. The way does not work there, because you cannot slip plastic as easy as on single row. You have to remove it BEFORE soldering - otherwise you risk damage of solder joints.

Still investigating how to step forward there....

vy 73
Andreas

qrz.com-Seite von DF8OE
SP3OSJ

« Reply #72 on: 18. February 2018, 15:34:15 »

I will be happy if you want to use and copy something.
No problem.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] Go Up Print 
Diskussions- und Newsboard des DARC-Ortsverbandes I40  |  allgemeine Kategorie  |  OVI40 SDR Projekt (English AND German discussions around OVI40 SDR project) (Moderators: DF8OE, DL1PQ)  |  Topic: LCD 3.5" DF8OE/SP9BSL <- zurück vorwärts ->
Jump to: 

Login with username, password and session length

Es wird die Verwendung von Browsern die auf der "Blink"-Engine basieren und mindestens
1024x768 Pixel Bildschirmauflösung für die beste Darstellung empfohlen

Amateurfunk Die Beiträge sind, sofern nicht anders vermerkt, unter der folgenden Lizenz veröffentlicht:
GNU Free Documentation License 1.3 GNU Free Documentation License 1.3
verbindet!