logo
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
06. May 2024, 18:37:00

Home Help Search Login RegisterWIKIUHSDR Download

Amateurfunk Sulingen
Diskussions- und Newsboard des DARC-Ortsverbandes I40  |  allgemeine Kategorie  |  OVI40 SDR Projekt (English AND German discussions around OVI40 SDR project) (Moderators: DF8OE, DL1PQ)  |  Topic: Firmware loading trouble <- zurück vorwärts ->
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Down Print
   Author  Topic: Firmware loading trouble  (Read 8113 times)
peter_77
Urgestein

THE mcHF and UHSDR forum !

View Profile
Re:Firmware loading trouble
« Reply #30 on: 29. March 2018, 07:23:22 »

This is used for mounting rain gutters or soldering your heating pipes in the house with heavy duty irons but never ever for electronics.

AC9QP
Neuling

Ich liebe dieses Forum!

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 29. March 2018, 20:42:10 »

I used the MGChemical 8341 flux. Cleans up nice, with IPA and water. Good and tacky so it stays where you put it and doesn't turn to goo when using RoHS-temp irons. You can get it at Amazon or any of the big parts distributors (Digikey, Mouser, Newark, Arrow, etc.).

https://www.mgchemicals.com/products/solder-and-accessories/fluxes/no-clean-flux-paste-8341

Anything with salts in it will ruin your day with fine-pitch SMD work.
peter_77
Urgestein

THE mcHF and UHSDR forum !

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 29. March 2018, 21:14:23 »

Or the classical Amtech
https://www.amazon.de/nc-559-asm-anti-wet-no-clean-Amtech-Solder/dp/0284955884/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1522357688&sr=8-4&keywords=amtech+flux
But you only need that for the STM32, WM encoder, and SI oscillator
Watch Andreas https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wA8F7sm8VI
But never ever for the standard capacitors or resistands and other semiconductors on the board !
Here the iron and simple solder is way enough.
For cleaning an old tooth brush and IPA is always your friend.
« Last Edit: 31. March 2018, 10:47:27 by peter_77 » Logged
AC9QP
Neuling

Ich liebe dieses Forum!

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 29. March 2018, 22:01:50 »

Second on the toothbrush. Also get a cheap spray bottle for IPA and for DI water (distilled or reverse osmosis works fine). I usually do three steps, spray IPA, scrub with toothbrush, spray IPA until dripping, spray water until dripping, shake off. I'd be careful using an ultrasonic cleaner as we have 32kHz crystals which can be cracked by the ultrasonic bath.
sm0nor
schon länger dabei

Ich liebe dieses Forum!

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 30. March 2018, 08:01:54 »

Quote from: peter_77 on 29. March 2018, 07:23:22
This is used for mounting rain gutters or soldering your heating pipes in the house with heavy duty irons but never ever for electronics.

I'm trying not to feel embarrassed

Ulf
DF8OE
Administrator

Stellvertr. OVV I40, Jugend / Nachwuchsreferent

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: 30. March 2018, 08:09:56 »

You didn't know that before - so "shit happens". Now its time to rescue the PCB. I think the salts can be best removed by water (look at the post of AC9QP). Using a ultrasonic cleaner will help a lot. It is easy to remove the 32kc crystal before you do so.

vy 73
Andreas

Wenn der Wind des Wandels weht, nageln die einen Fenster und Türen zu und verbarrikadieren sich. Die anderen gehen nach draußen und bauen Windmühlen...
qrz.com-Seite von DF8OE
-----------------------------------------------------
>>>> Die Inhalte meiner Beiträge dürfen ohne meine explizite Erlaubnis in jedwedem Medium weiterverbreitet werden! <<<<
sm0nor
schon länger dabei

Ich liebe dieses Forum!

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 30. March 2018, 08:13:00 »

I'm having success with the cleaning. I'm only using distilled water and a toothbrush because the darn salts from the bad fluss is not solvable in alcohols such as IPA. But I have to repeat brushing and rinsing and drying several times because the residue is really sticky, but now the board starts to look really nice again.

I'm drying with pressurized air in a home made drying-tunnel made from a an old PA blower and a 3 inch tube.

This is actually kind of fun....

/Ulf
sm0nor
schon länger dabei

Ich liebe dieses Forum!

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 30. March 2018, 08:41:46 »

Quote from: peter_77 on 29. March 2018, 21:14:23
Or the classical Amtech
https://www.amazon.de/nc-559-asm-anti-wet-no-clean-Amtech-Solder/dp/0284955884/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1522357688&sr=8-4&keywords=amtech+flux
But you only need that for the STM32, WM encoder, and SI oscillator
Watch Andreas https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wA8F7sm8VI
But never ever for the standard capacitors or resistands and other semoconductors on the board. Here the iron and simple solder is way enough.
For cleaning an old tooth brush and IPA is always your friend.

Great tip in the video! I will try that with the new MCU scheduled to arrive at my doorstep after the Easter weekend.

/Ulf
DF8OE
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: 30. March 2018, 09:42:54 »

Regarding cleaning a hint:

i have had repaired ~5000 laptops during the last 15 years (I am self employed technician). If there was fluid on the PCB like milk, coke, coffee e.g. I cleaned it with water, first drying with pressure air and (important!!!) second drying with sunlight. I put the PCBs for a day to sunlight and then there was NO more water on it.

vy 73
Andreas

Wenn der Wind des Wandels weht, nageln die einen Fenster und Türen zu und verbarrikadieren sich. Die anderen gehen nach draußen und bauen Windmühlen...
qrz.com-Seite von DF8OE
>>>> Die Inhalte meiner Beiträge dürfen ohne meine explizite Erlaubnis in jedwedem Medium weiterverbreitet werden! <<<<
sm0nor
schon länger dabei

Ich liebe dieses Forum!

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 03. April 2018, 19:21:02 »

Everything is a go now! A week of brushing, rinsing and drying over and over. New MCU in place. All systems go :-). Display is stable and all button pushes result in expected action on the display.

Thanks for all support in this very educational ordeal :-)

Over and out from this thread!

/Ulf
DF8OE
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: 04. April 2018, 04:31:04 »

Nice to hear Ulf!

vy 73
Andreas

qrz.com-Seite von DF8OE
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Up Print 
Diskussions- und Newsboard des DARC-Ortsverbandes I40  |  allgemeine Kategorie  |  OVI40 SDR Projekt (English AND German discussions around OVI40 SDR project) (Moderators: DF8OE, DL1PQ)  |  Topic: Firmware loading trouble <- zurück vorwärts ->
Jump to: 

Login with username, password and session length

Es wird die Verwendung von Browsern die auf der "Blink"-Engine basieren und mindestens
1024x768 Pixel Bildschirmauflösung für die beste Darstellung empfohlen

Amateurfunk Die Beiträge sind, sofern nicht anders vermerkt, unter der folgenden Lizenz veröffentlicht:
GNU Free Documentation License 1.3 GNU Free Documentation License 1.3
verbindet!