logo
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
26. April 2024, 04:04:05

Home Help Search Login RegisterWIKIUHSDR Download

Amateurfunk Sulingen
Diskussions- und Newsboard des DARC-Ortsverbandes I40  |  allgemeine Kategorie  |  UHSDR Firmware (Moderators: DF8OE, DL1PQ)  |  Topic: CW memories used in RTTY <- zurück vorwärts ->
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
   Author  Topic: CW memories used in RTTY  (Read 1611 times)
S58J
schon länger dabei

Ich liebe dieses Forum!

View Profile
CW memories used in RTTY
« on: 30. September 2018, 04:13:00 »

Hi

Today I attempted to make first RTTY QSO with mcHF. RX side was perfect, really good decodes. I tried to use my iambic key to send RTTY - no luck, I must have been doing something wrong.

Then another question came to my mind: is it possible to use existing CW memories to be used also in RTTY? So instead of Iambic key or keyboard to use existing 3 CW memory slots to send RTTY messages. With that mcHF would become a really strong tool in at least 2 situations: (1) working DX-peditions and (2) working RTTY contests with static reports (such as today's CQ WW RTTY).

So is that option feasible on the current UHSDR version? If yes, how to do it? If no, is it possible to implement it?

Kind regards

Janez, W4/S58J
peter_77
Urgestein

THE mcHF and UHSDR forum !

View Profile
Re:CW memories used in RTTY
« Reply #1 on: 30. September 2018, 12:37:19 »

UHSDR has a Flash and also an SD card on board with a lot of memory.
With a 4Gig oder 8Gig SD card or the onboard Flash chip you can theoretical transmit the whole manual in RTTY and even more.
So from a hardware perspective it should not be a problem 
Btw. i use a Rii mini usb keyboard
https://www.amazon.de/gp/offer-listing/B00VWVXQB6/ref=dp_olp_0?ie=UTF8&condition=all
which works just fine without any problems.
« Last Edit: 30. September 2018, 12:40:05 by peter_77 » Logged
DB4PLE
positron
Urgestein

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 30. September 2018, 12:41:32 »

Hi Janez,

you have to use the internal (!) Iambic/Ultimate keyer. From your message it does not become clear if you used the internal keyer or an external ultimatic keyer connected to the UHSDR TRX in CW straight mode.

Re use of memories: Of course this is possible. Just not implemented...

Danilo
S58J
schon länger dabei

Ich liebe dieses Forum!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 30. September 2018, 15:28:26 »

Hi Danilo and Peter

Yes, I need to add more clarity to my message. My first attempt with RTTY was with mcHF rev. 0.7 with the Palm mini key connected to the rig and Iambic B mode selected. The problem was I could not hear CW tone and without that it is impossible to key properly. Plus even without a tone sometimes the transmitted characters were correct, sometimes purely random.

My OVI40 project is still ongoing, now finishing mcHF RF 0.6 board.

Going back to my proposal. I really wish to have the knowledge to contribute with the code - but don't have it, sorry for that. So if there is any chance to make the use of CW memories also in RTTY (by simply transmitting the CW memory content as RTTY), that would be super cool. Beside enjoying building my own equipment I am also a keen contester and DX-er and that option would bring the whole new experience to an already amazing software.

Kind regards

Janez, W4/S58J

peter_77
Urgestein

THE mcHF and UHSDR forum !

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 01. October 2018, 08:50:53 »

Maybe i have misunderstand you but using CW to type (or better key) in any text into RTTY is not very efficient. Why doing it in that very inefficient and complicated way via CW and not directly with a small keyboard like its usual for years for RTTY ?
We have the USB connector so why not connecting the above mentioned small wireless keyboard or any USB hardware keyboard and use this ? For typing text you normally always use a keybord and not an inefficient CW key.
OK, a memory with some fixed texts which ease RTTY operation would be nice but i guess this will come with the ongoing development of the UHSDR firmware. Enough options for saving them are on the PCB.
But then with the keyboard please for typing in texts and of course not with a CW keyer !
df9ts
positron
schon länger dabei

Ich liebe dieses Forum!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 01. October 2018, 16:08:41 »

Elecraft K3 can do this - send RTTY and PSK31 with CW paddle. Maybe that is the background of this idea - clone the K3 feature?

(I have tried and yes it is funny but I rarely use it)

BR

Gerd.
DB4PLE
positron
Urgestein

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 01. October 2018, 18:03:55 »

Hi,

I just checked: the "CW" memories works in RTTY as well. It just does not automatically switch on the TX (it does this for CW or BPKS31). But if RTTY TX is active it does work like in CW or BPSK31.

I think there is no reason not to automatically activate TX as well.

Danilo

S58J
schon länger dabei

Ich liebe dieses Forum!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 02. October 2018, 01:55:36 »

Hi

Further clarification:
I am NOT so much into keying CW with my morse key to get RTTY. Yes, I saw the  idea introduced by Elecraft, and I understood that it is similarly implemented in the UHSDR. Again, using CW key for RTTY it is not so much fun, if any. Last week it was just an attempt to make the very first RTTY contact with my mcHF and with what a had at hand (the rig and the CW key). But I failed, hi.

Way better for free text is as you suggested - the use external keyboard. 

What I am REALLY into is to use CW memories to be transmitted as RTTY. The way I see it useful should be like in CW mode - when I press any of the three memory buttons the mcHF goes automatically into transmit and sends the memory content as RTTY (if previously selected mode is RTTY of course). End of the memory message - end of transmission, without pushing any additional buttons. And the LCD types the RTTY message content sent on the air, if I am not demanding to much.

Just one user comment after 2 months on the air and more than 500 QRP QSOs so far:
UHSDR (currently with the mcHF, soon also with OVI40) is pure genuin fun! User interface is easy and very user friendly. Guys I am truly and honestly amazed by the job you have done!

My respect, to all of you!

Janez, W4/S58J
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
Diskussions- und Newsboard des DARC-Ortsverbandes I40  |  allgemeine Kategorie  |  UHSDR Firmware (Moderators: DF8OE, DL1PQ)  |  Topic: CW memories used in RTTY <- zurück vorwärts ->
Jump to: 

Login with username, password and session length

Es wird die Verwendung von Browsern die auf der "Blink"-Engine basieren und mindestens
1024x768 Pixel Bildschirmauflösung für die beste Darstellung empfohlen

Amateurfunk Die Beiträge sind, sofern nicht anders vermerkt, unter der folgenden Lizenz veröffentlicht:
GNU Free Documentation License 1.3 GNU Free Documentation License 1.3
verbindet!