logo
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
26. April 2024, 00:26:32

Home Help Search Login RegisterWIKIUHSDR Download

Amateurfunk Sulingen
Diskussions- und Newsboard des DARC-Ortsverbandes I40  |  allgemeine Kategorie  |  OVI40 SDR Projekt (English AND German discussions around OVI40 SDR project) (Moderators: DF8OE, DL1PQ)  |  Topic: CPU hot and no connection to PC <- zurück vorwärts ->
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Down Print
   Author  Topic: CPU hot and no connection to PC  (Read 8218 times)
IK5WWP
Neuling

Ich liebe dieses Forum!

View Profile
Re:CPU hot and no connection to PC
« Reply #15 on: 16. February 2018, 16:04:21 »

Replaced the MCU.
Nothing to do: for a little while low absorption then after a few second the currente rise up to 500mA and there ia short circuit between UI_3V_MCU and GND.
Removed components under  UI_3V_MCU like IC1, IC12, IC5, IC7 and the short is still present.
Removed MCU the short is gone.
Resoldered the MCU, no short for a few seconds then again 500mA of absorption.
I'm not luky with MCU?
I'm sure there are non solder joint between pins of the MCU and I don't want to desolder the MCU for the third time. The risk is that same pads go away and so, after, the entire board will be a piece of junk...
DL8EBD
positron
Urgestein

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 16. February 2018, 17:11:40 »

that's not good!
please show us a (high resolution) picture from your board.

bitte keine technische Fragen oder Diskussionen via PN, dafür ist das Forum da.
vy73
Thomas
DF8OE
Administrator

Stellvertr. OVV I40, Jugend / Nachwuchsreferent

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: 19. February 2018, 08:27:33 »

Additional information:

if LCD is plugged ui board can draw 460mA and STM is *not dead* - but possibly option bytes are scrambled and STM cannot be reached via dfu.

The only possibility to check if STM is still alive is to use STLINK. Do you have it?

vy 73
Andreas

Wenn der Wind des Wandels weht, nageln die einen Fenster und Türen zu und verbarrikadieren sich. Die anderen gehen nach draußen und bauen Windmühlen...
qrz.com-Seite von DF8OE
-----------------------------------------------------
>>>> Die Inhalte meiner Beiträge dürfen ohne meine explizite Erlaubnis in jedwedem Medium weiterverbreitet werden! <<<<
peter_77
Urgestein

THE mcHF and UHSDR forum !

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 19. February 2018, 08:50:04 »

Here are some infos regarding ST-Link:
https://www.amateurfunk-sulingen.de/forum/index.php?board=15;action=display;threadid=577;start=315
Translator is your friend here. Its pretty easy and straightforward.
I can also encourage you to buy such a cheap link plug which you'll find on Amazon or eBay:
https://www.ebay.de/itm/ST-Link-V2-STM8-STM32-USB-Programmer-3-3V-5V-SWD-212-/221884211496?hash=item33a9546128:g:WeEAAOSwyvBV9Tar
Very often the MCU is still alive but did not boot due to crashed register settings.
« Last Edit: 23. February 2018, 19:28:54 by peter_77 » Logged
IK5WWP
Neuling

Ich liebe dieses Forum!

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 23. February 2018, 15:55:31 »

Update of 23/02/2018
Soldered a new MCU and tested the resistance between UI_3v_MCU and ground: about 1.3 Kohm (Ok, Before was only about 10 ohm)
Note: any active and passive components between UI_3v_MCU and ground was previously removed: only the MCU.
Now step by step I will re-put in place the components removed and every step I'll check the resistance.
Just a few steps a day: I don't want to make another roast-MCU!
« Last Edit: 23. February 2018, 15:55:58 by IK5WWP » Logged
DF8OE
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: 24. February 2018, 07:49:01 »

The first thing I would test is if any short-circuits are between MCU pins which are side by side. You can take such very precise "peaks" like they are used at dentists. Connect them to a DVM in "short circuit test mode" and test all pins for shorts to their neigbours.

vy 73
Andreas

Wenn der Wind des Wandels weht, nageln die einen Fenster und Türen zu und verbarrikadieren sich. Die anderen gehen nach draußen und bauen Windmühlen...
qrz.com-Seite von DF8OE
>>>> Die Inhalte meiner Beiträge dürfen ohne meine explizite Erlaubnis in jedwedem Medium weiterverbreitet werden! <<<<
IK5WWP
Neuling

Ich liebe dieses Forum!

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 24. February 2018, 13:35:28 »

Quote from: DF8OE on 24. February 2018, 07:49:01
The first thing I would test is if any short-circuits are between MCU pins which are side by side. You can take such very precise "peaks" like they are used at dentists. Connect them to a DVM in "short circuit test mode" and test all pins for shorts to their neigbours.

vy 73
Andreas

Thank you for this suggestion: before giving current I'll surely do also this test!
73, Lorenzo
DF8OE
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: 24. February 2018, 13:54:10 »

I have got many mcHFs in the past for repair. If MCU was killed, the main reason was short circuits directly at the pins of MCU. Second reason was wrong wiring to 30p header to rf PCB (> 3V on a pin that goes directly to GPIO).

Good luck - this time it will work!

vy 73
Andreas

qrz.com-Seite von DF8OE
IK5WWP
Neuling

Ich liebe dieses Forum!

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 28. February 2018, 17:58:07 »

"Dentist test" done and passed ok.
Now ahead step by step.
A little step a time.
IK5WWP
Neuling

Ich liebe dieses Forum!

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 03. March 2018, 10:53:46 »

Ok!
Finally I have a working MCU.
It is recognized by the pc and I can upload bootloader and firmware, but...
Removed jumper on P6, removed the cable on DFU port, given +5V, I can only see a white screen.
After a few seconds the screen light became not stable, but if  I press and keep depressed  the power on/off  button the white screen become stable, so I believe it is a software problem and not an hardware problem.
It's time to buy an ST-LINK?
DF8OE
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: 03. March 2018, 10:59:01 »

I don't think it is a firmware problem - I think it is a hardware problem.

Do you have built LCD PCB by yourself or do you get a populated PCB?

BTW:
Buying a ST-Link is nearly mandatory if you want to participate the latest bleeding edge tries on OVI40. It is cheap and **very useful**

vy 73
Andreas
« Last Edit: 03. March 2018, 11:00:30 by DF8OE » Logged

qrz.com-Seite von DF8OE
IK5WWP
Neuling

Ich liebe dieses Forum!

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 03. March 2018, 11:13:05 »

Hi Andreas!
Thank you for your prompt answer.
You sent me a populated LCD after the first expedition went to Portugal, do you remember?
Have I to check something in particular on the LCD board?
peter_77
Urgestein

THE mcHF and UHSDR forum !

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 03. March 2018, 11:33:29 »

Or buy a simple, standard "of the shelf" 3,2" TFT LCD.
https://www.hotmcu.com/32-touch-screen-tft-lcd-module-ili9325-p-127.html?cPath=6_16&zenid=9t7el5fmveqp7onhsvb9bb2rv7
or
https://www.waveshare.com/3.2inch-320x240-Touch-LCD-C.htm
No need for any soldering just plug and play and ideal for testing the UI board to make sure basic functionality.
IK5WWP
Neuling

Ich liebe dieses Forum!

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 03. March 2018, 15:00:07 »

Disassembled LCD, checked all solder joint, cleaned accurately all the fluxant.
Now the white screen is stable, the current absorption is about 70mA constant, but only white screen.
No particular hot spot: checked with a thermal camera: max temperature about 25° C on the MCU and on the 3.3V regulator

What can I do now?
« Last Edit: 03. March 2018, 15:27:09 by IK5WWP » Logged
DF5LI
alter Hase

Ich liebe meinen SParrow !

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 03. March 2018, 15:32:08 »

Ich hatte bei 2 neugebauten ui-Boards (V.04 und V.06) ein ähnliches Problem. Nach dem Flashen mit JP6 und dfuSe schien nach der Anzeige von dfuSe alles ok zu sein, aber nach dem Einschalten der Boards war der Bildschirm auch nur weiß. Abhilfe brachte ein 2. Flashen des Bootloaders, danach lief alles prima!
Starte mal einen 2. Versuch !

73,  Harri
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Up Print 
Diskussions- und Newsboard des DARC-Ortsverbandes I40  |  allgemeine Kategorie  |  OVI40 SDR Projekt (English AND German discussions around OVI40 SDR project) (Moderators: DF8OE, DL1PQ)  |  Topic: CPU hot and no connection to PC <- zurück vorwärts ->
Jump to: 

Login with username, password and session length

Es wird die Verwendung von Browsern die auf der "Blink"-Engine basieren und mindestens
1024x768 Pixel Bildschirmauflösung für die beste Darstellung empfohlen

Amateurfunk Die Beiträge sind, sofern nicht anders vermerkt, unter der folgenden Lizenz veröffentlicht:
GNU Free Documentation License 1.3 GNU Free Documentation License 1.3
verbindet!