logo
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
09. May 2024, 15:47:58

Home Help Search Login RegisterWIKIUHSDR Download

Amateurfunk Sulingen
Diskussions- und Newsboard des DARC-Ortsverbandes I40  |  allgemeine Kategorie  |  mcHF Projekt Deutsch / English (here you can discuss everything related to mcHF) (Moderators: DF8OE, DL1PQ)  |  Topic: [solved] Receiving strong sigs 12.KHZ <- zurück vorwärts ->
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 10 Go Down Print
   Author  Topic: [solved] Receiving strong sigs 12.KHZ  (Read 14191 times)
F4HTX
schon länger dabei

Scotty, energize...

View Profile
Re:[not solved] Receiving strong sigs 12.KHZ
« Reply #75 on: 02. September 2018, 16:32:54 »

Hi Andreas,

Thanks for checking the code, on my side I re-perform the process, and finally found that in 2.9.9 the birdies are there but very very low, even with volume fully cranked up. I only noticed them by moving around the frequency to notice it was there in the noise.

Very sorry for the false clue.

As you said ugly's the word.

73's

François
DF8OE
Administrator

Stellvertr. OVV I40, Jugend / Nachwuchsreferent

View Profile WWW
« Reply #76 on: 02. September 2018, 16:40:46 »

No problem François - we all are working on the same problem but sometimes go wrong.

Please be so kind and recheck your 2.5.57 observations. Crank up your audio and play with old AGC (switch it off !!!) which "eats" the spurs. It would be fine if you can confirm the spurs are reproduceable there for you, too.

vy 73
Andreas

Wenn der Wind des Wandels weht, nageln die einen Fenster und Türen zu und verbarrikadieren sich. Die anderen gehen nach draußen und bauen Windmühlen...
qrz.com-Seite von DF8OE
-----------------------------------------------------
>>>> Die Inhalte meiner Beiträge dürfen ohne meine explizite Erlaubnis in jedwedem Medium weiterverbreitet werden! <<<<
DF8OE
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #77 on: 02. September 2018, 17:19:51 »

I have just gone back to the earliest binaries I can access at the moment: 1.4.0 from GitHub. And I can confirm that the issue is already present there. I cannot build binaries from the sources with recent gccs - it builds with hundreds of warnings and binaries are not functionally. I must draw back to an very old compiler. But I can state:

This issue is very, very, very old and was covered by bad working AGC and other bad working stages. But it was already there since a long time - and nobody noticed it.

Happy new year! 

I cannot believe there are bugfixed binareis what is stated in Yahoo NG. I think they have found a method of covering the issue (like the old AGC has done).

vy 73
Andreas

Wenn der Wind des Wandels weht, nageln die einen Fenster und Türen zu und verbarrikadieren sich. Die anderen gehen nach draußen und bauen Windmühlen...
qrz.com-Seite von DF8OE
>>>> Die Inhalte meiner Beiträge dürfen ohne meine explizite Erlaubnis in jedwedem Medium weiterverbreitet werden! <<<<
F4HTX
schon länger dabei

Scotty, energize...

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: 02. September 2018, 17:21:04 »

Hi Andreas,

Good guess : on my mchf, with 2.5.57 it's there, almost unnoticeable, but definitely there.

Furthermore, on my ovi-40 with 2.9.50 and 2.9.9 it's also there. It is very faint and not obvious, but if you track it is definitely a birdy.

From my viewpoint this lead to an interesting conclusion : this issue might have been in our firmwares for a very long time but only surfacing in specific conditions. Most of users won't probably notice any birdies problem in real life use considering the usual HF background noise.

And also a second conclusion : the F1F3F5 reset do not get rid of the birdies problem but only make it to dive back in noise. So the parameters configuration might not be the problem, more a chemical revelator of a low noise illness. Not surprising that finally nothing surfaced in examining the backup files.

About my testing conditions : I used my Adret 7100D @ -73dBm, last time I checked it was correctly calibrated and the generator noise and spurs were very low (-136dB). Just to be sure, I'll check it later this week, in case something failed, and also redo the test with another generator (R&S SMT03). Just in case...

Best Regards,

François

Later PS : Crossed responses again
« Last Edit: 02. September 2018, 17:22:41 by F4HTX » Logged
DD4WH
positron
alter Hase

Ich liebe dieses Forum!

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: 03. September 2018, 07:03:34 »

Hi folks!

Sorry for being silent so long, I was busy with other things/hobbies ;-).

it is hard for me to understand the issue, because it is not present on my machine, but I try to summarize the main facts here and then I would like to pose some more questions which would be very nice if you could try to answer them/ carry out some more tests on your machines, thanks in advance!

SUMMARY of the 12kHz problem:

* a wanted signal is received
* you notice the presence of a copy of that wanted signal (called unwanted signal) which is 12kHz above and 12kHz below the frequency of the wanted signal
* the unwanted signal is audible, but not visible with magnify 1x [do not use other magnify modes while we are investigating this problem, please]
* that unwanted signal is well below the wanted signal [Francois reported: -73dBm wanted signal and -136dBm unwanted signal --> 63dB difference; Chuck reported: "there is no S-meter reading"]
* so I assume the unwanted signal is about 50-60dB lower than the wanted signal, is that correct?
* the unwanted signal(s) is/are much louder when using a filter bandwidth lower than 3k8, but they are still present with filter bandwidths higher than 3k6
* AGC ON/OFF has no influence on the presence of the unwanted signal
* NR ON/OFF has no influence on the presence of the unwanted signal
* NB ON/OFF has no influence on the presence of the unwanted signal
* Translate 0/6/12kHz has no influence on the presence of the unwanted signal
* has been present in the firmware since the very first versions by Chris & Clint (at least from 1.4.0 on)

FIRST THOUGHTS on the cause of the problem (from here on, this is massive speculation from my side):

* to me, it seems everything is pretty OK ;-):
* the filter suppresses unwanted signals by 60dB
* that is how the digital filters have been designed from the beginning of the making of the mcHF software: with 60dB stopband attenuation, so I would not expect better attenuation --> some filter details can be found here:
https://github.com/df8oe/UHSDR/wiki/How-does-your-UHSDR-software-DSP-work
* another question would be: are we happy with "only" 60dB: historically, the mcHF was not designed to be a high end TRX, it evolved more and more into that direction, but the filter design stayed the same and it would be a massive task to recalculate all the filters for higher stopband attenuation and on the F4 it would be very hard to achieve that because of memory and processor load constraints
* on the F7/H7 this is a totally different thing and we have to improve the filters there, that is clear

FURTHER QUESTIONS (please help me here):

* I assume the unwanted signal is about 50-60dB lower than the wanted signal, is that correct?
* could you carry out a test under defined conditions:

- 2k7 lowpass filter in USB
- IQ auto correction ON (because we have to eliminate the possibility that it is just a malaligned IQ phase/amplitude); alternatively you can show me on the video that your IQ phase and amplitude is perfectly manually calibrated at 7100kHz
- set frequency translation to +12kHz
- set display to spectrum display only
- wanted signal 7100kHz
- is the unwanted signal in LSB?
- which signal level does the unwanted signal have? is it approximately 60dB down? Please measure with the S-meter/dBm display with magnify 1x

It would be nice if you could do exactly the same test again with the 3k8 lowpass filter.

Thanks a lot for your efforts and tests so far and thanks in advance for helping exploring the cause of the issue!

73 Frank DD4WH

« Last Edit: 03. September 2018, 11:06:40 by DD4WH » Logged

-----------------------------------------
Teensy Convolution SDR
https://github.com/DD4WH/Teensy-ConvolutionSDR
DD4WH
positron
alter Hase

Ich liebe dieses Forum!

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: 03. September 2018, 07:15:01 »

could anybody post a video showing this problem or the results of your further tests?

Chuck: unfortunately your link does not work anymore (maybe its my dropbox account which is full ;-))

Thanks in advance!

73 Frank

Teensy Convolution SDR
F4HTX
schon länger dabei

Scotty, energize...

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: 03. September 2018, 07:25:15 »

Hello Frank,

Thanks for trying to summurize, here are couple details to adjust :

1. * you notice the presence of a copy of did wanted signal (called unwanted signal) All which is 12 kHz above and 12kHz below the frequency of the wanted signal

It's 1x +/-12kHz ; 2x +/- 12kHz ; 3x +/-12kHz ; nx... I didn't check where n ends.

2.  * That unwanted signal is well below the wanted signal [Francois reported: -73dBm wanted signal and unwanted signal -136dBm -> 63dB difference; Chuck reported: "there is no S-meter reading"]

My explaination was not clear : -73dBm is my test signal and -136dBm is the spurs level on my RF generator, not the mchf birdies

3. * so I assume the unwanted signal is about 50-60dB lower than the wanted signal, is did correct?

Definitely NO. In some of my test the +12 is almost as loud as the original signal. That's why people noticed in the first place and so started the issue.

So, no it's definitely not ok to hear a spur as loud as the main signal.

I'll try to find some spare time to set up the test you are asking for. Not easy to reach the 1Hz resolution in frequency. I have to think about a test setup. Do you need a +/-1Hz precision or more ?

73's

François
« Last Edit: 03. September 2018, 07:38:48 by F4HTX » Logged
DF8OE
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #82 on: 03. September 2018, 07:53:12 »

I never have had heard spurs louder than 50dB lower than wanted signal. When I use infected config it is ~50dB under wanted signal when I use filters < 3.6KHz and 65dB at wider filters. When I use a default (or all of my) configs it is 65db at filters < 3.6KHz and > 80dB at higher filters. So I am in the same situation as Frank: I do not know where you are talking about - I cannot confirm here  . There is nothing what bothers in normal working conditions... All infected configs I have got show suppressions better than 40dB. That is slightly too bad - but not "as loud as wanted signal".

EDIT:
Meanwhile I think these spurs are not removeable at F4 processors. Filters cannot be much steeper than now because of missing horse-power. You can possibly switch of waterfall AND scope and then use a slightly steeper filter. But that is not the goal of an SDR transceiver. The fact that it is present on all firmwares is no issue - it is due to the complete concept and given horse power NORMAL. You can get rid of the too bad suppression by choosing a better configuration. There are some (actually unidentified) settings which made suppression much poorer when cranked up. So we must crank down them...

vy 73
Andreas
« Last Edit: 03. September 2018, 07:59:23 by DF8OE » Logged

qrz.com-Seite von DF8OE
DD4WH
positron
alter Hase

Ich liebe dieses Forum!

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: 03. September 2018, 07:54:27 »

Salut Francois and thanks for the quick anwer!

Oh, thats not good to have an unwanted signal at that signal level! Then I have to think some more . . .

Dont worry too much about the test setup: it would be sufficient to inject a tone with your excellent signal generator and then zero beat the wanted and unwanted signal(s) with a one Hz resolution of the VFO. I just want to be sure that the difference of wanted and unwanted signal is exactly 12kHz/24kHz/36kHz etc.

73 Frank

Teensy Convolution SDR
DD4WH
positron
alter Hase

Ich liebe dieses Forum!

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: 03. September 2018, 07:59:14 »

Hmm, Andreas, now that is confusing . . .

Could it be that we are talking about two different things ? :

1.) the twinpeaks issue that is sometimes occuring with unwanted signals as loud as the wanted signal and
2.) the 12k issue reported here with 50/60dB suppressed unwanted signals?

Chuck, how loud are your unwanted signals? You stated that there is "no S-meter reading", so I assume they are not at all as strong as the wanted signal, is that correct?

Francois, is the issue with unwanted signals that are as loud as the wanted signal reproducible after doing a RESET CODEC from the menu (try it several times ;-))?

73 Frank

Teensy Convolution SDR
DF8OE
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #85 on: 03. September 2018, 08:01:28 »

Best is to test in Xlate = off. Then you will not see the damned twin peaks problem which pops up randomnly.

vy 73
Andreas

qrz.com-Seite von DF8OE
DD4WH
positron
alter Hase

Ich liebe dieses Forum!

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: 03. September 2018, 08:05:09 »

Andreas, I am not sure whether the twinpeaks issue can be totally omitted when using 0kHz translate, but you will not see it anymore (but probably still have the issue).(not totally sure about this)

To be safe, please use 12kHz translate for all tests, then the twinpeaks issue can be easily seen ;-).

73 Frank

Teensy Convolution SDR
DF8OE
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #87 on: 03. September 2018, 08:10:35 »

If you use Xlate = off you cannot be confused by seeing / hearing it. It will be exactly at the same frequency as the wanted signal and will not produce spurs beside the wanted signal. Maybe some of the testers have seen the twin peaks syndrom and thought it is/was the 12KHz issue.

12KHz issue is completely independent of Xlate settings.

vy 73
Andreas
« Last Edit: 03. September 2018, 08:11:13 by DF8OE » Logged

qrz.com-Seite von DF8OE
DF8OE
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #88 on: 03. September 2018, 08:56:52 »

My measurement of 12 KHz spur:

Wanted signal: -33dBm @7100KHz
spur: -102dBm @7112KHz
all other spurs at n x 12KHz are less stronger: 7124KHz is -108dBm next spur is not detectable in dBm (but I can hear it).

Measured using 2.9KHz BPF in LSB with Xlate OFF.

If I increase the input level only 6dB the mixer is completely overdriven In that case I do have intermixing products over > 500KHz with amplitudes of > -70dB.

That is my standard working configuration (except Xlate=off - I normally use Xlate=-12KHz).

This is a suppression of nearly 70dB and absolutely no problem in normal working conditions.

vy 73
Andreas

qrz.com-Seite von DF8OE
DD4WH
positron
alter Hase

Ich liebe dieses Forum!

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: 03. September 2018, 09:02:51 »

has anybody ever seen this problem in modes AM or SAM?

73 Frank

Teensy Convolution SDR
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 10 Go Up Print 
Diskussions- und Newsboard des DARC-Ortsverbandes I40  |  allgemeine Kategorie  |  mcHF Projekt Deutsch / English (here you can discuss everything related to mcHF) (Moderators: DF8OE, DL1PQ)  |  Topic: [solved] Receiving strong sigs 12.KHZ <- zurück vorwärts ->
Jump to: 

Login with username, password and session length

Es wird die Verwendung von Browsern die auf der "Blink"-Engine basieren und mindestens
1024x768 Pixel Bildschirmauflösung für die beste Darstellung empfohlen

Amateurfunk Die Beiträge sind, sofern nicht anders vermerkt, unter der folgenden Lizenz veröffentlicht:
GNU Free Documentation License 1.3 GNU Free Documentation License 1.3
verbindet!