logo
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
18. April 2024, 23:18:01

Home Help Search Login RegisterWIKIUHSDR Download

Amateurfunk Sulingen
Diskussions- und Newsboard des DARC-Ortsverbandes I40  |  allgemeine Kategorie  |  mcHF Projekt Deutsch / English (here you can discuss everything related to mcHF) (Moderators: DF8OE, DL1PQ)  |  Topic: version 5 firmware advice and how to? <- zurück vorwärts ->
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
   Author  Topic: version 5 firmware advice and how to?  (Read 3124 times)
WA3O
Neuling

Ich liebe dieses Forum!

View Profile E-Mail
version 5 firmware advice and how to?
« on: 30. August 2018, 22:49:52 »

Dear MCHF group,

I have a 100% working V5 MCHf radio that is at  M0KNA V.0.219.26.4 and the LCD = parallel. What do I have to do so I can upgrade the firmware and what is the latest firmware I can use on this version 5? Is it worth doing a firmware upgrade?

Thank you!

Mike WA3O
DF8OE
Administrator

Stellvertr. OVV I40, Jugend / Nachwuchsreferent

View Profile WWW
Re:version 5 firmware advice and how to?
« Reply #1 on: 31. August 2018, 04:01:27 »

Hi Mike,

doing a firmware update to a recent version is always a very good idea. UHSDR for mcHF is compatible to all mcHFs from v 0.3 up to 0.7. Dependent in version you have to do some modifications to get full features out of firmware (touchscreen activation, adding a serial EEPROM e.g.)

Most important is the used MCU. If you have fitted a "small" MCU with only 512KB you are unlucky. There IS a version for this MCUs - but there are left out parts (actually only FreeDV but more in future). If you have fitted MCU with 1MB flash or (best soultion) STM32F429/439 you have bleeding edge no better choice possible.

Becasue of firmware updates are much easier and comfortable using UHSDR bootloader an update if the bootloader is also very good.

vy 73
Andreas

Wenn der Wind des Wandels weht, nageln die einen Fenster und Türen zu und verbarrikadieren sich. Die anderen gehen nach draußen und bauen Windmühlen...
qrz.com-Seite von DF8OE
-----------------------------------------------------
>>>> Die Inhalte meiner Beiträge dürfen ohne meine explizite Erlaubnis in jedwedem Medium weiterverbreitet werden! <<<<
WA3O
Neuling

Ich liebe dieses Forum!

View Profile E-Mail
« Reply #2 on: 31. August 2018, 09:37:17 »

Andreas,

My MCU is a STM32F407 VTG6 Z HPAC VG KOR HP 423 ST ARM.  Can you tell me which one it is? And the steps and mods I need to do to upgrade it?

Thank you

Mike WA3O
DF8OE
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: 31. August 2018, 09:40:13 »

Here can you the amount of flash and RAM...

vy 73
Andreas
« Last Edit: 31. August 2018, 09:41:43 by DF8OE » Logged

Wenn der Wind des Wandels weht, nageln die einen Fenster und Türen zu und verbarrikadieren sich. Die anderen gehen nach draußen und bauen Windmühlen...
qrz.com-Seite von DF8OE
>>>> Die Inhalte meiner Beiträge dürfen ohne meine explizite Erlaubnis in jedwedem Medium weiterverbreitet werden! <<<<
WA3O
Neuling

Ich liebe dieses Forum!

View Profile E-Mail
« Reply #4 on: 31. August 2018, 09:59:42 »

Andrea,

Looks like I got lucky...it says 1 mb flash. Can you point me to a page that steps me through the firmware update? I am almost certain I can not update through the USB flash drive. Do I have to make the touchscreen to work for the firmware updates? If so I think I would have to cut the screen out because it was soldered in. This kit was bought from M0NKA back in 2015.

Thanks for the help

Mike WA3O
DF8OE
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: 31. August 2018, 10:13:36 »

Touchscreen is not mandatory for FW updates. But in my eyes it is a "must-have" when you work with mcHF...

Here you can find informations relating updates (bootloader/firmware).

vy 73
Andreas

qrz.com-Seite von DF8OE
WA3O
Neuling

Ich liebe dieses Forum!

View Profile E-Mail
« Reply #6 on: 31. August 2018, 19:49:11 »

Andrea,

This probably a dumb question but can I just upgrade my firmware to the latest using the M0NKA boot loader and MCHF Manager?

Thank you

Mike WA3O
« Last Edit: 31. August 2018, 20:06:16 by WA3O » Logged
DF8OE
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: 01. September 2018, 07:01:43 »

Yes you can but it is like driving a ferrari and use bicycle tires...

UHSDR bootloader is much more mighty and offers you much more features that monka bootloader does not have.

vy 73
Andreas

qrz.com-Seite von DF8OE
WA3O
Neuling

Ich liebe dieses Forum!

View Profile E-Mail
« Reply #8 on: 01. September 2018, 11:28:49 »

Andrea,

would you happen to know if on a M0NKA version .5 board if there is any mod needed to the USB port to apply power or can I just put the firmware on with DfuSeDemo ?.

Thank you

Mike WA3O
WA3O
Neuling

Ich liebe dieses Forum!

View Profile E-Mail
« Reply #9 on: 01. September 2018, 19:32:35 »

Andrea,

I successfully updates my boot loader and firmware (with the thumb drive). Thank you so much for being patient and helping me through the process.

73's

Mike WA3O
WA3O
Neuling

Ich liebe dieses Forum!

View Profile E-Mail
« Reply #10 on: 01. September 2018, 20:55:12 »

spoke too soon....

it was working great and now just a white screen

Mike WA3O
DF8OE
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: 02. September 2018, 12:02:26 »

If you have seen new firmware string and after that nothing I think it is a hardware issue. Do LEDs play during boot process?

vy 73
Andreas

qrz.com-Seite von DF8OE
WA3O
Neuling

Ich liebe dieses Forum!

View Profile E-Mail
« Reply #12 on: 02. September 2018, 14:59:25 »

Andrea,

Yes I do see the screen but if I turn the radio off and back on quickly,  I get a white screen. If I let the radio sit off for a minute or 2 and turn the radio back on,  the screen boots normally and the radio functions normally.  This very repeatable and if I have patients not a big problem

Thanks again

Mike WA3O
DF8OE
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: 02. September 2018, 15:04:15 »

That is a hardware issue - not a firmware issue.

Do you have UHSDR bootloader and firmware implied?

vy 73
Andreas

qrz.com-Seite von DF8OE
WA3O
Neuling

Ich liebe dieses Forum!

View Profile E-Mail
« Reply #14 on: 02. September 2018, 15:53:04 »

Andrea,

Yes Both the boot loader and the firmware are applied I guess next I should install an eeprom?

Thank you

Mike WA3O
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
Diskussions- und Newsboard des DARC-Ortsverbandes I40  |  allgemeine Kategorie  |  mcHF Projekt Deutsch / English (here you can discuss everything related to mcHF) (Moderators: DF8OE, DL1PQ)  |  Topic: version 5 firmware advice and how to? <- zurück vorwärts ->
Jump to: 

Login with username, password and session length

Es wird die Verwendung von Browsern die auf der "Blink"-Engine basieren und mindestens
1024x768 Pixel Bildschirmauflösung für die beste Darstellung empfohlen

Amateurfunk Die Beiträge sind, sofern nicht anders vermerkt, unter der folgenden Lizenz veröffentlicht:
GNU Free Documentation License 1.3 GNU Free Documentation License 1.3
verbindet!