logo
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
28. March 2024, 16:05:37

Home Help Search Login RegisterWIKIUHSDR Download

Amateurfunk Sulingen
Diskussions- und Newsboard des DARC-Ortsverbandes I40  |  allgemeine Kategorie  |  Aktuelles & Ankündigungen (Moderators: DL1PQ, DF8OE)  |  Topic: Adding of more language support to the discussion group <- zurück vorwärts ->
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
   Author  Topic: Adding of more language support to the discussion group  (Read 12575 times)
DF8OE
Administrator

Stellvertr. OVV I40, Jugend / Nachwuchsreferent

View Profile WWW
Adding of more language support to the discussion group
« on: 29. July 2020, 10:06:44 »

Today I added the first support of much more languages in forum software. Fell free to test it and please give feedback for any maltranslated and wrong formatted sentences. It is in early beta stage and may contain minor and major bugs (up to missing transations ending in php error messages). I will improve it with every feedback I will get.

For activating it please go to "Profile" and change your language setting to the language you want to choose. Please notice that you have to place your password in the upper part of the form because of changing settings need password confirmation even if you are logged in.

I added following languages:
  • arabic
  • danish
  • finnish
  • french
  • greek
  • hewbrew
  • norsk
  • polski
  • svenska

I am looking for support! Is there anyone who can help me for translating to Russian? This is an important language I want to support, too. Of course helping to add support for other languages is also very welcome.

vy 73
Andreas
« Last Edit: 29. July 2020, 15:59:39 by DF8OE » Logged

Wenn der Wind des Wandels weht, nageln die einen Fenster und Türen zu und verbarrikadieren sich. Die anderen gehen nach draußen und bauen Windmühlen...
qrz.com-Seite von DF8OE
-----------------------------------------------------
>>>> Die Inhalte meiner Beiträge dürfen ohne meine explizite Erlaubnis in jedwedem Medium weiterverbreitet werden! <<<<
DF8OE
Administrator

View Profile WWW
Re:Adding of more language support to the discussion group
« Reply #1 on: 30. July 2020, 07:23:32 »

I have reworked most translation files last night. Only technical rework - my language skills beside German, English and French are very poor .

Newly implemented:
  • If someone visits our discussion group who has not registered he gets the language his browser is pointing to. If this language is not available "English" is choosen instead. Up to now always "German" was choosen.
  • If he registers this language is set as the language in his profile. Of course he can choose any other (available) language in profile which overrides browser detected language.

Now I am looking forward for feedback (translation corrections, issue reports) and help by adding more languages.

vy 73
Andreas

Wenn der Wind des Wandels weht, nageln die einen Fenster und Türen zu und verbarrikadieren sich. Die anderen gehen nach draußen und bauen Windmühlen...
qrz.com-Seite von DF8OE
>>>> Die Inhalte meiner Beiträge dürfen ohne meine explizite Erlaubnis in jedwedem Medium weiterverbreitet werden! <<<<
SP9BSL
positron
alter Hase

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: 30. July 2020, 08:30:19 »

Hello Andreas,
I checked the Polish language translation - I feel that works much better now, although I'll stay with English anyway
Thank you for adding English as default for not logged users. It is helpfull with the smartphone "fast view" when you're not logged in.
I found some minor behaviour - not all the categories in main page are translated correctly by default, changing it manually to english works ok:
 forum.jpg

73 Slawek
SP9BSL
positron
alter Hase

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: 30. July 2020, 08:31:09 »

forgot to say, browser: Brave

73 Slawek
DF8OE
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: 30. July 2020, 10:03:53 »

Hi Slawek,

not the namings of the categories and boards are included in the language files - only the forum template text!

Everything that is added by admins or users (board namings, descriptions of boards, categories, threads...) are shown "as they are".

For example access your profile. Most text here (except your individual settings) are shown in the translated template words now to the language which is configured in your profile without the need of google translate.

EDIT:
For explanation:
Everything that is "statically encoded" now can be (and hopefully is) translated in the template files. There is no access to any translation service done by my server.
If you choose the dropdown in the right upper corner of the page YOU call "google translate" and it is translated IN YOUR BROWSER - not at my server. So I can provide basic translations by my server without the need of paying $$$ for google translation APIs.

vy 73
Andreas
« Last Edit: 30. July 2020, 11:19:38 by DF8OE » Logged

qrz.com-Seite von DF8OE
SP9BSL
positron
alter Hase

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: 30. July 2020, 10:20:18 »

Ok - then no problem, thank you for explanation.

73 Slawek
DF8OE
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: 30. July 2020, 11:21:58 »

Hi Slawek,

thank you for your report! That is what I need: feedback. Sometimes it will be normal behaviour but I have not clarified enough (like on your report) - but I am sure there are issues sleeping. Forum software is quite large and I have modified many different files...

vy 73
Andreas

qrz.com-Seite von DF8OE
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
Diskussions- und Newsboard des DARC-Ortsverbandes I40  |  allgemeine Kategorie  |  Aktuelles & Ankündigungen (Moderators: DL1PQ, DF8OE)  |  Topic: Adding of more language support to the discussion group <- zurück vorwärts ->
Jump to: 

Login with username, password and session length

Es wird die Verwendung von Browsern die auf der "Blink"-Engine basieren und mindestens
1024x768 Pixel Bildschirmauflösung für die beste Darstellung empfohlen

Amateurfunk Die Beiträge sind, sofern nicht anders vermerkt, unter der folgenden Lizenz veröffentlicht:
GNU Free Documentation License 1.3 GNU Free Documentation License 1.3
verbindet!