logo
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
29. March 2024, 08:49:54

Home Help Search Login RegisterWIKIUHSDR Download

Amateurfunk Sulingen
Diskussions- und Newsboard des DARC-Ortsverbandes I40  |  allgemeine Kategorie  |  UHSDR Firmware (Moderators: DF8OE, DL1PQ)  |  Topic: OVI-40 UI v1.8 bricked <- zurück vorwärts ->
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
   Author  Topic: OVI-40 UI v1.8 bricked  (Read 2862 times)
F4HTX
schon länger dabei

Scotty, energize...

View Profile
OVI-40 UI v1.8 bricked
« on: 12. January 2018, 10:13:20 »

Dear Friends,

No fun this morning, it looks like my UI board is bricked !

I tried to update the firmware using the USB drive and 2.7.61 firmware, got the message:
"OVI40 boot loader
Firmware Name: fw-40SDR
USB Drive Mode

Release Band- to skip firmware update"

The green led flashed and ... nothing else. After 30 seconds, I finally released the Band- button, nothing more happened.

Power off, power on and white screen again. I did a couple cycle with same result.

I tried to enforce DFU mode, no success: always white screen and no LED at all.

I checked the power, cpu reset and the cpu clock, They are fine. Lines from the DFU socket to the cpu are ok, BOOT0 signal too.

It looks like the STM does not care of the BOOT0

Any idea welcome ...

Best Regards,

François
« Last Edit: 12. January 2018, 10:30:53 by F4HTX » Logged
db9mat
noch länger dabei

Ich liebe dieses Forum!

View Profile E-Mail
Re:OVI-40 UI v1.8 bricked
« Reply #1 on: 12. January 2018, 13:04:33 »

Do you have a ST-Link debug adapter? Pretty sure your UI board isn't bricked, the STM32 is just having a severe case of memory loss

If don't have a dedicated ST-Link debugger, maybe you have a STM32 Nucleo or Discovery board? Those can be used as debuggers, too.
F4HTX
schon länger dabei

Scotty, energize...

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 12. January 2018, 13:28:54 »

Hi Mathis,

Thanks for answer.

I thought I might do something with a classical usb/serial interface and the ST-Link software, but apparently not. So I just ordered a ST-Link debugger (should get it on monday or tuesday).

And my discovery board is programmed as an antenna analyzer and I won't mess with it as it's running smoothly

I'll post the results as soon as it's done.

Best Regards,

François
F4HTX
schon länger dabei

Scotty, energize...

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 18. January 2018, 18:06:03 »

Dear Friends,

My UI OVI-40 v1.8 is back in business after a few days in brick break. This has taken more time than expected, mainly because of the lack of clarity in the STM interface documentation.

If something strange or unexpected happened to your board and none of the usual procedure are working to install the Bootloader or the Firmware, this might bring life back into your UI.

You will need :
- an up to date STM32 ST-LINK utility ( http://www.st.com/en/development-tools/stm32-programmers.html?querycriteria=productId=LN2013 ) running on something (you choose)
- a ST-LINKV2 probe ( http://www.st.com/content/st_com/en/products/development-tools/hardware-development-tools/development-tool-hardware-for-mcus/debug-hardware-for-mcus/debug-hardware-for-stm32-mcus/st-link-v2.html ), (you might use some other compatible hardware)
- latest version of the Bootloader and/or UHSDR Firmware

The only tricky part is to connect the probe JTAP connector to the JP8 UI board, here are the needed wires :

JP8-3 (SWDIO) to JTAG-7
JP8-4 (SWCLK) to JTAG-9
JP8-5 (UI_3V3) to JTAG-1
JP8-6 (GND) to JTAG-20

The rest of the procedure is straight forward : connect, erase, flash and you are done.

One additional trick, when I first connected to the MCU, I got an error message « Readout Protection Mode » and was unable to erase the chip. I finally choosed to try to flash a first time and the utility did what was necessary to remove the protection mode. Cool, thank you STM !

Best Regards,

François

IMG_1971.JPG

db9mat
noch länger dabei

Ich liebe dieses Forum!

View Profile E-Mail
« Reply #4 on: 18. January 2018, 18:57:20 »

Glad to hear it! It's pretty hard (if not impossible) to kill a STM32 via software.. SWD/JTAG should always work!
peter_77
Urgestein

THE mcHF and UHSDR forum !

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 18. January 2018, 23:25:37 »

A couple of us faced the same issue during beta testing the new UI board.
But as you could see a cheap chinese ST Link adapter from Amazon or eBay saves your day 

Here are the steps. Unfortunately in German but maybe it helps.
https://www.amateurfunk-sulingen.de/forum/index.php?board=15;action=display;threadid=577;start=315
Register values from Andreas:
https://www.amateurfunk-sulingen.de/forum/index.php?board=15;action=display;threadid=577;start=285

The URLs are from a (forgotten) I40 UI thread in the mcHF folder.
Maybe one of the board admins can move that one to the UHSDR area here too.
« Last Edit: 18. January 2018, 23:29:47 by peter_77 » Logged
DL8EBD
positron
Urgestein

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 19. January 2018, 04:15:53 »

Hallo Peter,
hab mir gerade den Thread angeschaut weil mittlerweile auch in Vergessenheit geraten.

Geschichtlich gesehen ist er ja zu mcHF only Zeiten entstanden und zeigt eindrucksvoll wie in ein paar Monaten das OVI40 Projekt daraus entstand - inklusive eigener Rubrik im Forum.

wenn Andreas keine Einwände hat, möchte ich den zunächst an seinem Platz belassen.
« Last Edit: 19. January 2018, 05:40:42 by DL8EBD » Logged

bitte keine technische Fragen oder Diskussionen via PN, dafür ist das Forum da.
vy73
Thomas
F4HTX
schon länger dabei

Scotty, energize...

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 19. January 2018, 07:32:12 »

Dear Friends,

Thank you very much Peter for pointing those threads, this will be helpful for non German speaking forumers.

I can read the posts in the forum and almost understand the meaning by switching to english/french, but searching for a specific detail is almost impossible with the translation process. I started to read everything, but I am far from finished it and my reading doesn't create enough index in my mind

73's

François
DF8OE
Administrator

Stellvertr. OVV I40, Jugend / Nachwuchsreferent

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: 19. January 2018, 07:36:34 »

Hi François,

please take a look at the new thread "how to publish informations".

vy 73
Andreas

Wenn der Wind des Wandels weht, nageln die einen Fenster und Türen zu und verbarrikadieren sich. Die anderen gehen nach draußen und bauen Windmühlen...
qrz.com-Seite von DF8OE
-----------------------------------------------------
>>>> Die Inhalte meiner Beiträge dürfen ohne meine explizite Erlaubnis in jedwedem Medium weiterverbreitet werden! <<<<
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
Diskussions- und Newsboard des DARC-Ortsverbandes I40  |  allgemeine Kategorie  |  UHSDR Firmware (Moderators: DF8OE, DL1PQ)  |  Topic: OVI-40 UI v1.8 bricked <- zurück vorwärts ->
Jump to: 

Login with username, password and session length

Es wird die Verwendung von Browsern die auf der "Blink"-Engine basieren und mindestens
1024x768 Pixel Bildschirmauflösung für die beste Darstellung empfohlen

Amateurfunk Die Beiträge sind, sofern nicht anders vermerkt, unter der folgenden Lizenz veröffentlicht:
GNU Free Documentation License 1.3 GNU Free Documentation License 1.3
verbindet!