logo
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
20. April 2024, 04:03:45

Home Help Search Login RegisterWIKIUHSDR Download

Amateurfunk Sulingen
Diskussions- und Newsboard des DARC-Ortsverbandes I40  |  allgemeine Kategorie  |  UHSDR Firmware (Moderators: DF8OE, DL1PQ)  |  Topic: Mute ssb audio on Digital RX <- zurück vorwärts ->
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
   Author  Topic: Mute ssb audio on Digital RX  (Read 1272 times)
EB3AM
Neuling

I'm a llama!

View Profile
Mute ssb audio on Digital RX
« on: 19. October 2020, 10:18:35 »

Hi, My name is Jordi and I live in Catalonia, with the Spanish call sign EB3AM, for the moment. 

I'm a newcomer to SDR, and I'm playing freeDV for the first time without a computer. 

I've been able to do some transmission with the FreeDV, which I think will be the future of radio in HF.

I have a couple of doubts;

- can I put a squelch or mute the SSB sound in freeDV?  It's interesting to know if the channel is free, but a silencer would be fine.

-The text that appears during transmission can be edited?  How?

Thank you very much!
« Last Edit: 19. October 2020, 10:19:21 by EB3AM » Logged
DF8OE
Administrator

Stellvertr. OVV I40, Jugend / Nachwuchsreferent

View Profile WWW
Re:Mute ssb audio on Digital RX
« Reply #1 on: 19. October 2020, 11:51:45 »

Hi Jordi,

welcome to our discussion group! Sorry - there is no possibility to mute audio or change the text at recent firmware releases. This will be changed in future - I am sure. But it has no high priority - we are busy at developing RF concepts that are much better than mcHF.

vy 73 - stay healthy
Andreas

Wenn der Wind des Wandels weht, nageln die einen Fenster und Türen zu und verbarrikadieren sich. Die anderen gehen nach draußen und bauen Windmühlen...
qrz.com-Seite von DF8OE
-----------------------------------------------------
>>>> Die Inhalte meiner Beiträge dürfen ohne meine explizite Erlaubnis in jedwedem Medium weiterverbreitet werden! <<<<
EB3AM
Neuling

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 19. October 2020, 11:59:38 »

Thanks Andreas...

If I have some time i will try to add this features. I just colaborate a litle in the openGD77 project and is not strange for my run a compiler.

But, The code is so hard to read and locate where ara the parts for this options.

I Make a fork & try it!

DF8OE
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: 19. October 2020, 13:21:53 »

Welcome to contribute!

We have done our best to remove all hard reading parts - but there is much to do... Many parts are moved into easy understanding functions - but not all... Maybe you can contribute there, too?

Some hints:
1) There WAS already a complete muted sound on freedv - but we removed this due to many wishes from the community. You cannot identify a freedv signal if the sound is muted, and at small horse power as embedded systems there is no really good "automatic tuning". You have to tune absolutely precise - impossible without listening raw sound...
2) Text for freedv can be set via USB keyboard. Routines are already implemented. But we do not have allocated some space in the configuration memory (I2C EEPROM). Additinally be careful with RAM usage! RAM at STM32F405 is nearly eaten. So I think you read the I2C EEPROM directly when the string is needed instead of loading it into RAM at the init process and hold it there all the time.
3) Adding menu entries is already simplified and quite easy. Look at the already existing code.

Please do not hesitate to ask for information if you need some.

vy 73
Andreas
« Last Edit: 19. October 2020, 13:23:46 by DF8OE » Logged

Wenn der Wind des Wandels weht, nageln die einen Fenster und Türen zu und verbarrikadieren sich. Die anderen gehen nach draußen und bauen Windmühlen...
qrz.com-Seite von DF8OE
>>>> Die Inhalte meiner Beiträge dürfen ohne meine explizite Erlaubnis in jedwedem Medium weiterverbreitet werden! <<<<
EB3AM
Neuling

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 19. October 2020, 13:58:09 »

Now it's my turn to read a lot of code, and see how it works. 
I have 2 jobs that eat many hours a day, but I always have a little time to read in the evening. 
The first is seen as being able to mute the raw sound, and next would make an entry into the menu.  And on the text, if it's so just a matter of memory, I'm just looking at how to make an entry that can modify the text by keyboard and that doesn't eat more than there is now. 
With a CQ, the locator and the prompt (and a reference to the device) may be enough... 
Well, let's read, for the time being.

By the way, I didn't say, but this radio is fabulous!

I've had radios since the 1970s, CB first, and I've already started off more serious equipment.  The first "big" radio was a kenwood 440, and then many others have come to the Icom 7300, which for me is a turning point in this world.  SDR changes everything. 

The other turning point was, a few years earlier, free software and specifically the emergence of Linux. 

I have been teaching for many years that technology cannot be owned, in all aspects, but there was little development in this area.  Icom hasn't released any new firmware on my radio for 2 years, and I don't expect it to, already.  They're not interested in them commercially. 
He has not released the source code either.  And, as far as I know, no one has been able to extract an alternative firmware, as if it has happened with some Chinese DMRs, that even though the codes were not available, the device could be accessed and the product improved and democratised.

Now, this project is a one more step, where software is free, but also hardware.  Something unthinkable when I started hamradio in the late 1970s.

« Last Edit: 19. October 2020, 13:59:28 by EB3AM » Logged
DF8OE
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: 19. October 2020, 14:25:58 »

Hi Jordi,

many of the things you have written about are exactly those which have inspired me in my life. I was working with CB in the 70s, too. I got my "small" license in 1975 and my "big" in 1977. Every elecronic device I bought MUST BE SHIPPED WITH A SCHEMATICS - and this was absolutely standard in my youth up to the 80s. But with a more and more filled up market the strategy to sell more and more get more aggressive. Same in software. I never used Windows 3.x - but I used 95 and 98. But then Microsoft's aggressivity exploded and I switched to Linux in 2000.

We started this discussion group wit a local amateur radio group of < 10 persons - now we are a community of some hundred. My dream is to develop a radio which is inexpensive (regarding the quality and features), uses newest technology, has free firmware with GPLv3 source code, is built modular so that you do not need to throw away most parts when "a new version appears". We must become much more carefully with our environment. And I think in many aspects we have lived beyond our means. That does not imply that we are not allowed to get new radios (e.g.). That means we must construct and use them so that the ressources are not wasted but they live a long time. "Open Hardware" with schematics and "Open Software" both give everyone who wants the possibility to live this way.

UHSDR has grown and was improved in a fantastic way. The possibility of improvement will never end - possibly "forever young". And skill and knowledge of many contributors will live in UHSDR forever, too.

It is not just a radio - it is a philosophy 

vy 73
Andreas
« Last Edit: 19. October 2020, 14:29:36 by DF8OE » Logged

qrz.com-Seite von DF8OE
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
Diskussions- und Newsboard des DARC-Ortsverbandes I40  |  allgemeine Kategorie  |  UHSDR Firmware (Moderators: DF8OE, DL1PQ)  |  Topic: Mute ssb audio on Digital RX <- zurück vorwärts ->
Jump to: 

Login with username, password and session length

Es wird die Verwendung von Browsern die auf der "Blink"-Engine basieren und mindestens
1024x768 Pixel Bildschirmauflösung für die beste Darstellung empfohlen

Amateurfunk Die Beiträge sind, sofern nicht anders vermerkt, unter der folgenden Lizenz veröffentlicht:
GNU Free Documentation License 1.3 GNU Free Documentation License 1.3
verbindet!