logo
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
20. April 2024, 00:44:45

Home Help Search Login RegisterWIKIUHSDR Download

Amateurfunk Sulingen
Diskussions- und Newsboard des DARC-Ortsverbandes I40  |  allgemeine Kategorie  |  UHSDR Firmware (Moderators: DF8OE, DL1PQ)  |  Topic: immer für alle Targets bauen oder nur für die bei denen sich was geändert hat? <- zurück vorwärts ->
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
   Author  Topic: immer für alle Targets bauen oder nur für die bei denen sich was geändert hat?  (Read 2366 times)
F4HTX
schon länger dabei

Scotty, energize...

View Profile
Re:immer für alle Targets bauen oder nur für die bei denen sich was geändert
« Reply #15 on: 29. November 2018, 07:24:39 »

Dear Friends,

After careful reading of the arguments detailed here, it appears to me that there might have a path combining almost both approaches.

Yes, it’s a lot more simpler for the user to see only one version advertised for all platforms, and I would love that.

But we might have to consider that the UHSDR will for sure fork drastically in the future. Because of the policy to support all platforms including very old ones, we will face hardware incompatibility regarding the software (new) features, and we will need to freeze the software for old timers at some point.

The idea might be to keep same version numbering as far as it does the same things, and fork when there is major differences.

For example, I think (correct me if I’m wrong) that the mchf doesn’t run the same noise filtering parameters than the F/H7. In that case a fork seems legitimate.

When it comes to the bootloader 5.01 or 5.02, this is within the same area of features, so I would keep the same numbering.

Not sure that my writing is as clear as my thinking on that…

Best Regards,

François
DF8OE
Administrator

Stellvertr. OVV I40, Jugend / Nachwuchsreferent

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: 29. November 2018, 09:10:38 »

Hi François,

forking is a solution which never was on my mind (and isn't yet). The solution must be comfortable for the users AND for the maintainers / development team. Forking would have different code bases and so the work for releasing binaries would increase. So our goal is to keep everything in one code base and swithc different builds via environment variables. which are recognized by MAKE. I am sure there will be forks in the future - but I do not think WE will fork anything...

BTW:
actually filtering is identical on mcHF and OVI40. There is a slight difference in filter coeffs - but the code is exactly the same.

vy 73
Andreas

Wenn der Wind des Wandels weht, nageln die einen Fenster und Türen zu und verbarrikadieren sich. Die anderen gehen nach draußen und bauen Windmühlen...
qrz.com-Seite von DF8OE
-----------------------------------------------------
>>>> Die Inhalte meiner Beiträge dürfen ohne meine explizite Erlaubnis in jedwedem Medium weiterverbreitet werden! <<<<
peter_77
Urgestein

THE mcHF and UHSDR forum !

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 29. November 2018, 10:11:55 »

To my opinion the actual situation fits perfectly well:
  • Bootloader version the same for all HW
  • Firmware version the same
  • "Lite" version for the older HW with limited CPUs

So far its the right procedure and very easy to handle without any confusion.
My 0.02$....
« Last Edit: 29. November 2018, 10:24:06 by peter_77 » Logged
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
Diskussions- und Newsboard des DARC-Ortsverbandes I40  |  allgemeine Kategorie  |  UHSDR Firmware (Moderators: DF8OE, DL1PQ)  |  Topic: immer für alle Targets bauen oder nur für die bei denen sich was geändert hat? <- zurück vorwärts ->
Jump to: 

Login with username, password and session length

Es wird die Verwendung von Browsern die auf der "Blink"-Engine basieren und mindestens
1024x768 Pixel Bildschirmauflösung für die beste Darstellung empfohlen

Amateurfunk Die Beiträge sind, sofern nicht anders vermerkt, unter der folgenden Lizenz veröffentlicht:
GNU Free Documentation License 1.3 GNU Free Documentation License 1.3
verbindet!