logo
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
24. April 2024, 11:49:40

Home Help Search Login RegisterWIKIUHSDR Download

Amateurfunk Sulingen
Diskussions- und Newsboard des DARC-Ortsverbandes I40  |  allgemeine Kategorie  |  UHSDR Firmware (Moderators: DF8OE, DL1PQ)  |  Topic: Testers wanted / Tester gesucht <- zurück vorwärts ->
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
   Author  Topic: Testers wanted / Tester gesucht  (Read 4746 times)
DF8OE
Administrator

Stellvertr. OVV I40, Jugend / Nachwuchsreferent

View Profile WWW
Re:Testers wanted / Tester gesucht
« Reply #15 on: 17. July 2018, 09:17:38 »

Bevor wir uns hier "verrennen": Bitte kontrolliere genau was für einen Dateinamen der Bootloader sucht. Der wird beim Updateversuch angezeigt. Eventuell hat Danilo hier etwas anderes als "fw-40sdr" hardgecoded.
Außerdem ist es auch interessant, ob die alte Firmware auf dem USB-Stick gesichert wird (erfolgt überhaupt eine Sicherung, wie lang ist das File etc.)

vy 73
Andreas

Wenn der Wind des Wandels weht, nageln die einen Fenster und Türen zu und verbarrikadieren sich. Die anderen gehen nach draußen und bauen Windmühlen...
qrz.com-Seite von DF8OE
-----------------------------------------------------
>>>> Die Inhalte meiner Beiträge dürfen ohne meine explizite Erlaubnis in jedwedem Medium weiterverbreitet werden! <<<<
DB4PLE
positron
Urgestein

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 17. July 2018, 09:23:49 »

Hi,

to be clear about the issues I see:

With new compiler:
1. Start the bootloader with a USB drive plugged in
2. Press Band- while powering on.

Result: The saving of the old firmware will fail with error 4.

Diagnosis: No clue yet.

With old compiler and correctly named bin:
1. + 2. as before

Result: Storing and writing of new firmware works without  error message but the firmware does not start.

Diagnosis: My guess here is, flashing does not work as intended.

DB4PLE
positron
Urgestein

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 17. July 2018, 09:35:57 »

Hi,

okay, I found the programming error causing the actual flashing of the firmware on the F4 and F7 to fail. I fixed that, and with the old compiler (gcc 6 2017 q2) the bootloader on the F7 works as expected.

@Friedrich: Dein Flashen auf dem F4 musste schiefgehen, den Fehler habe ich gefunden.

It seems to me that there is an interesting issue just on the F7 and new compiler (gcc 7) issue, which does not appear on the H7.

I will soon publish two sets of bootloaders, one set build with the gcc 6 and one with the gcc 7. Please test when they become ready,
again mostly F4 and F7, and specifically the USB driver update.

Danilo
DB4PLE
positron
Urgestein

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 17. July 2018, 11:11:52 »

GCC 6.3.1 Bootloaders

Please test if USB DRIVE Update is working for F4 and F7 (both should work).

GCC 7 bootloaders follow...
 h7alpha-bl-gcc-6.3.1.zip
DB4PLE
positron
Urgestein

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 17. July 2018, 11:22:03 »

GCC 7.3.1 Bootloaders

Please test USB drive function (should work for F4 and H7 and most likely does not work for F7).

As of now I have not a single clue why running a different compiler version causes a problem for the F7 but not for the essentially identical H7 processor (both more or less use the same compiler settings relevant for code generation, both are a cortex-m7 with a double precision fpu).

We'll probably find out at some point...

Please confirm my findings:
gcc: F4,F7,H7 bootloaders work without any problem
gcc: F4,H7 bootloaders should work, F7 does not work with USB drive (stops with error 4).

We'll  keep using the gcc6 (as we have been doing for a while) as the compiler for official builds and all is almost good for now.

Danilo

h7alpha-bl-gcc-7.3.1.zip
DF8OE
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: 17. July 2018, 12:49:16 »

Das ist übrigens sehr gut dass Du mich "gewarnt" hast. Ich hatte auch schon den gcc7 für die offiziellen Builds eingerichtet...

vy 73
Andreas

Wenn der Wind des Wandels weht, nageln die einen Fenster und Türen zu und verbarrikadieren sich. Die anderen gehen nach draußen und bauen Windmühlen...
qrz.com-Seite von DF8OE
>>>> Die Inhalte meiner Beiträge dürfen ohne meine explizite Erlaubnis in jedwedem Medium weiterverbreitet werden! <<<<
OE1FHB
noch länger dabei

Ich liebe dieses Forum!

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 17. July 2018, 14:23:56 »

Hab  bl - mchf.dfu von gcc 7.3.1 geladen ohne Probleme.
Nachher über USB Update von FW durchgeführt , war ohne Probleme
möglich.

Vy 73 Friedrich

DB4PLE
positron
Urgestein

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 17. July 2018, 17:08:13 »

Hallo Friedrich,

danke! Bestätigt meine Vermutung.

Grüße
Danilo
DB4PLE
positron
Urgestein

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 17. July 2018, 22:39:11 »

Hi,

I found the issue. It is not a compiler bug, so as usual the problem sat in front of the monitor...
The disk read / write code requires the data to start on an memory address which can be divided by 4 (i.e. is 4 byte aligned).
We did not enforce this by a compiler setting however in most cases it was aligned correctly. Only the gcc7 F7 build did not have this aligned. And with that the bootloader failed. This was pure luck that we did not have that problem earlier.
Fix is easy, just tell the compiler to align the data correctly. With that done, all is working now.

Thanks to the testers.

@Andreas: The GCC 7 can and should be used for official builds I would say.

Danilo
DF8OE
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: 18. July 2018, 04:36:06 »

Hi Danilo,

I have modified my building script to GCC7 now. Very good work!

vy 73
Andreas

qrz.com-Seite von DF8OE
S53DZ
schon länger dabei

Ich liebe dieses Forum!

View Profile WWW E-Mail
« Reply #25 on: 18. July 2018, 07:05:02 »

Danilo,

great job. Thanks for that. GCC 7 works fine.

PS:
It is again a proof for an old saying:
"All great findings happened by accident."
And in spite of all the hard work. But I comfort myself that all that hard work make the accident happen.
DB4PLE
positron
Urgestein

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 18. July 2018, 07:12:14 »

Hi Andreas,

Quote from: DF8OE on 18. July 2018, 04:36:06
Hi Danilo,

I have modified my building script to GCC7 now. Very good work!

vy 73
Andreas

Just as a reminder: Before you release the bootloader build with gcc 7, we should fix it also in active-devel. I'll take care of that.

Danilo
DF8OE
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: 18. July 2018, 08:11:15 »

Of course. I think you will combine H7 port with this work and if both arrived in active devel I will merge and release a "first test version".

BTW:
Do you have implemented H7 build via Makefile already? If so: I will expand my publishing script for an OVI40 H7 build.

vy 73
Andreas

qrz.com-Seite von DF8OE
DB4PLE
positron
Urgestein

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 18. July 2018, 08:25:35 »

Hi Andreas,

yes, Makefile does work, all the firmware and bootloaders in the zip in this thread were build using the Makefile approach on Ubuntu (using the new Windows Linux Subsystem which for this kind of application is quite nice). I also extended the .travis.yml to take care of the H7 build as well... All of that will be in the H7 pull request from my ovi40h7 branch.

However, I made the small bootloader fix go to active-devel (see my pull request). So you'll have this in right now since it is an immediate issue, not like the H7 port which can wait a few more days.

Danilo
DF8OE
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: 18. July 2018, 08:33:40 »

Shall I release a build containing these changes?

vy 73
Andreas

qrz.com-Seite von DF8OE
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
Diskussions- und Newsboard des DARC-Ortsverbandes I40  |  allgemeine Kategorie  |  UHSDR Firmware (Moderators: DF8OE, DL1PQ)  |  Topic: Testers wanted / Tester gesucht <- zurück vorwärts ->
Jump to: 

Login with username, password and session length

Es wird die Verwendung von Browsern die auf der "Blink"-Engine basieren und mindestens
1024x768 Pixel Bildschirmauflösung für die beste Darstellung empfohlen

Amateurfunk Die Beiträge sind, sofern nicht anders vermerkt, unter der folgenden Lizenz veröffentlicht:
GNU Free Documentation License 1.3 GNU Free Documentation License 1.3
verbindet!