logo
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
20. April 2024, 08:05:47

Home Help Search Login RegisterWIKIUHSDR Download

Amateurfunk Sulingen
Diskussions- und Newsboard des DARC-Ortsverbandes I40  |  allgemeine Kategorie  |  UHSDR Firmware (Moderators: DF8OE, DL1PQ)  |  Topic: Does UHSDR support the ESP8266 wifi? <- zurück vorwärts ->
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
   Author  Topic: Does UHSDR support the ESP8266 wifi?  (Read 2246 times)
k6pc
Neuling

Ich liebe dieses Forum!

View Profile
Does UHSDR support the ESP8266 wifi?
« on: 27. May 2018, 04:39:11 »

Hello, I'm building my first mcHF and noticed the ESP8266 option.  I am wondering if the firmware supports it?

Thanks!
Matt - K6PC
DF8OE
Administrator

Stellvertr. OVV I40, Jugend / Nachwuchsreferent

View Profile WWW
Re:Does UHSDR support the ESP8266 wifi?
« Reply #1 on: 27. May 2018, 06:36:03 »

No - it doesn't. And we do not have any idea what is a senseful use. It would kill the touchscreen functionality (due to a lack of GPIOs). But touchscreen is a MUST for mcHF.

Additional: if you leave away touchscreen (what I never, never, never would do) - what are the advantages?

Module provides a wireless serial connection. So you can do CAT for example wireless. But: audio is still using USB cable  So where is the advantage?

Can you tell me a scenario where a wireless serial (!!) connection is useful?

vy 73
Andreas

Wenn der Wind des Wandels weht, nageln die einen Fenster und Türen zu und verbarrikadieren sich. Die anderen gehen nach draußen und bauen Windmühlen...
qrz.com-Seite von DF8OE
-----------------------------------------------------
>>>> Die Inhalte meiner Beiträge dürfen ohne meine explizite Erlaubnis in jedwedem Medium weiterverbreitet werden! <<<<
k6pc
Neuling

Ich liebe dieses Forum!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 27. May 2018, 07:09:08 »

Andreas, thanks for the quick response!

Wifi might be nice for cat control with a tablet PC out in the field. But not at the expense of the touchscreen!

Thanks again!
Matt - K6PC
DF8OE
Administrator

Stellvertr. OVV I40, Jugend / Nachwuchsreferent

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: 27. May 2018, 07:46:38 »

Hi Matt,

I already have thought about this. But if I am in a field I want to carry as less as possible devices with me. E.g. for SOTA you save every weight and volume you can  So in most cases in the filed you want to work "standalone TRX". And if you want to use electronic logs you will be "in near" of your TRX so an USB cable does not impact.

When Chris released PCBs with wireless option I played around with many scenarios but I never have found one where WIFI enables important functionality which you cannot reach with existing wired solution.... If you would be able to connect audio with WIFI - complete other story. But that does not work.

vy 73
Andreas

Wenn der Wind des Wandels weht, nageln die einen Fenster und Türen zu und verbarrikadieren sich. Die anderen gehen nach draußen und bauen Windmühlen...
qrz.com-Seite von DF8OE
-----------------------------------------------------
>>>> Die Inhalte meiner Beiträge dürfen ohne meine explizite Erlaubnis in jedwedem Medium weiterverbreitet werden! <<<<
DB4PLE
positron
Urgestein

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 27. May 2018, 12:05:11 »

Hi,

Quote from: DF8OE on 27. May 2018, 07:46:38
.... If you would be able to connect audio with WIFI - complete other story. But that does not work.

with a different layout (using for instance a ESP8266 ESP12 module), story is different since then you have even I2S available, no need to go through serial as it is with the ESP8266 ESP01 module design on the mchF. Still doesn't solve the GPIO pin problem of the mcHF, though.

As Andreas said, the current design doesn't give sufficient benefit for what it takes from you. And this in turn seems to let developers avoid support for this option as it creates a lot of work for not much to gain. But anyone should feel free to prove otherwise.

Danilo 
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
Diskussions- und Newsboard des DARC-Ortsverbandes I40  |  allgemeine Kategorie  |  UHSDR Firmware (Moderators: DF8OE, DL1PQ)  |  Topic: Does UHSDR support the ESP8266 wifi? <- zurück vorwärts ->
Jump to: 

Login with username, password and session length

Es wird die Verwendung von Browsern die auf der "Blink"-Engine basieren und mindestens
1024x768 Pixel Bildschirmauflösung für die beste Darstellung empfohlen

Amateurfunk Die Beiträge sind, sofern nicht anders vermerkt, unter der folgenden Lizenz veröffentlicht:
GNU Free Documentation License 1.3 GNU Free Documentation License 1.3
verbindet!