logo
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
19. May 2024, 21:54:40

Home Help Search Login RegisterWIKIUHSDR Download

Amateurfunk Sulingen
Diskussions- und Newsboard des DARC-Ortsverbandes I40  |  allgemeine Kategorie  |  OVI40 SDR Projekt (English AND German discussions around OVI40 SDR project) (Moderators: DF8OE, DL1PQ)  |  Topic: BOM ist jetzt in unserem WIKI <- zurück vorwärts ->
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
   Author  Topic: BOM ist jetzt in unserem WIKI  (Read 4822 times)
DF8OE
Administrator

Stellvertr. OVV I40, Jugend / Nachwuchsreferent

View Profile WWW
Re:BOM ist jetzt in unserem WIKI
« Reply #15 on: 08. October 2017, 10:07:46 »

Yes: so it is planned.

vy 73
Andreas

Wenn der Wind des Wandels weht, nageln die einen Fenster und Türen zu und verbarrikadieren sich. Die anderen gehen nach draußen und bauen Windmühlen...
qrz.com-Seite von DF8OE
-----------------------------------------------------
>>>> Die Inhalte meiner Beiträge dürfen ohne meine explizite Erlaubnis in jedwedem Medium weiterverbreitet werden! <<<<
peter_77
Urgestein

THE mcHF and UHSDR forum !

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 08. October 2017, 14:04:05 »

But the general question remains if we could replace all the alu elkos with tantalum ones ? Or do alu elkos have a technical advantage over tantalums ? I wonder why they are used mixed with the alu ones if we can have just a pure tantalum bom here.
They have a better mechanical stability, less height as i said and their overall handling is more robust.
DF8OE
Administrator

Stellvertr. OVV I40, Jugend / Nachwuchsreferent

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: 08. October 2017, 14:46:53 »

Of course you can replace them! But

• they are cheaper than tantalum
  • the existing layout uses Elkos (and we will not change it for such reasons)

vy 73
Andreas

Wenn der Wind des Wandels weht, nageln die einen Fenster und Türen zu und verbarrikadieren sich. Die anderen gehen nach draußen und bauen Windmühlen...
qrz.com-Seite von DF8OE
-----------------------------------------------------
>>>> Die Inhalte meiner Beiträge dürfen ohne meine explizite Erlaubnis in jedwedem Medium weiterverbreitet werden! <<<<
KevinA
Neuling

It's English

View Profile WWW E-Mail
« Reply #18 on: 08. October 2017, 15:38:23 »

Quote from: DF8OE on 08. October 2017, 14:46:53
Of course you can replace them! But

• they are cheaper than tantalum
  • the existing layout uses Elkos (and we will not change it for such reasons)

vy 73
Andreas

From a Codec Manufacture:
" In general, there are 3 types of capacitors that will be available in the values that are appropriate as AC coupling in most signal paths: electrolytic, tantalum and ceramic. Each has strengths and weaknesses.

Electrolytic capacitors are generally the best performing for this purpose. They are very linear when biased by the Common Mode voltages present in most SigmaDSP audio paths and their low ESR (Equivalent Series Resistance) makes them attractive as an 'invisible' component when designing a circuit. They are fairly low cost as well. However, electrolytic capacitors have quite a large footprint and they will suffer from degradation of value and performance over time - especially in a high temperature environment. They literally 'dry out' and become a high pass filter in the signal path. High temperature versions are available and will hold up well over a long period of time.

Tantalum capacitors are a reasonable alternative, however they are more expensive than electrolytics and are not available in as many values. As polarized capacitors, they must also be biased, however I have not found them to be as linear in an audio path as electrolytic capacitors. Some people say they "don't sound as good," however static single-tone distortion tests might not reveal any differences. On the positive side, tantalums do not dry out and so are appropriate for a long term high temperature environment. They are generally smaller than electrolytics for the same value.

Both of the non-ceramic types will hold their capacitive value under use condition, unlike ceramics....

Ceramic capacitors are generally not recommended for use as AC coupling in audio. They are attractive because of the size, cost and low ESR. However, when most ceramic capacitors are biased, the capacitive rating can decrease by as much as 50%! The higher grade (X7R) types suffer less from this, but you should be aware that a 1 uF might be acting like a 0.68uF in the circuit. We have also found that ceramic capacitors suffer from microphonic effects: the audio passing through the part will actually physically resonate and cause distortion! I would only use ceramic capacitors in the audio path where performance is not an issue, but size and cost are your higher priority. NP0 and C0G are the best of the ceramics, however I don't think you will find these types available in appropriate values."

https://ez.analog.com/thread/3465
High Temp Electrolytic Capacitors for low ESR and linearity.

Kevin K2AAE

Kevin K2AAE
DL8EBD
positron
Urgestein

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 08. October 2017, 15:52:22 »

Kevin, thx for the very good explanations 
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
Diskussions- und Newsboard des DARC-Ortsverbandes I40  |  allgemeine Kategorie  |  OVI40 SDR Projekt (English AND German discussions around OVI40 SDR project) (Moderators: DF8OE, DL1PQ)  |  Topic: BOM ist jetzt in unserem WIKI <- zurück vorwärts ->
Jump to: 

Login with username, password and session length

Es wird die Verwendung von Browsern die auf der "Blink"-Engine basieren und mindestens
1024x768 Pixel Bildschirmauflösung für die beste Darstellung empfohlen

Amateurfunk Die Beiträge sind, sofern nicht anders vermerkt, unter der folgenden Lizenz veröffentlicht:
GNU Free Documentation License 1.3 GNU Free Documentation License 1.3
verbindet!