logo
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
19. April 2024, 12:18:12

Home Help Search Login RegisterWIKIUHSDR Download

Amateurfunk Sulingen
Diskussions- und Newsboard des DARC-Ortsverbandes I40  |  allgemeine Kategorie  |  OVI40 SDR Projekt (English AND German discussions around OVI40 SDR project) (Moderators: DF8OE, DL1PQ)  |  Topic: OVI40 F7 Sparrow does not load firmware <- zurück vorwärts ->
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
   Author  Topic: OVI40 F7 Sparrow does not load firmware  (Read 4412 times)
IK2JTU
Neuling

W questo FORUM!!!

View Profile
Re:OVI40 F7 Sparrow does not load firmware
« Reply #15 on: 14. March 2021, 21:32:05 »

Quote from: DB4PLE on 14. March 2021, 12:02:00
Hi,

a) What causes the Band-/Band+ swap issue on the Sparrow bootloader?

The UHSDR firmware and bootloader for OVI40 UI build run on the Sparrow hardware because it is from the perspective of the hardware control indistinguishable from the OVI40 UI. And that also means that the hardware button are used in the same way.

So why do you have to press Band+ to get Band- in the bootloader? Indistinguishable for the software does not imply identical.

What actually differs is the button labeling on the Sparrow case. I.e. on the hardware button by default used to handle Band- operation, there is the label Band+ on the case and vice versa. Now, why does the button labeled Band+ on the Sparrow (which I said is the hardware button Band- for the UHSDR OVI40 UI firmware) does Band+?

If you look into the configuration menu on your Sparrow, you will find an entry "Band+/- Swap" and it is set to "On". Hence the buttons behave as labeled. So far so good, that is why the button does at advertised on the case.
However, the UHSDR OVI40 bootloader (which is different from the UHSDR OVI40 firmware) does not have access to this configuration information, and for that reason it will use the default arrangement (i.e. Band+/- Swap Off). This difference between label and actual behavior makes the OVI40 bootloader instructions confusing for you. Bootloader always uses the default layout. BTW, Step+ and Step- are swapped as well.

b) As Andreas said, follow the instructions to the letter and following a) treat for the bootloader part button labeled as Band- as Band+ and Band+ as Band-. Now watch the green LED. If it blinks slowly, the bootloader has not recognized your USB drive. Why, I cannot tell. Maybe the power supply, maybe something else. To which of the two USB connectors (top or bottom) the drive is connected to? Bottom is the correct one, the one which is a Micro USB connector on the Sparrow ( on the OVI40 and mcHF this is an USB A host connector and is on the top of the case). The slightly larger MiniUSB connector is used to connect to a PC and for the DFU Upgrade procedure, which you may want to try in case the USB drive is not working.

Danilo

b) 

Thanks Danilo for your explanation, I also made this attempt by reversing the band keys from the software but without success ...
I believe the issue is that the USB port is not recognized correctly as it is also described in a tred by Arthur himself
The USB key that can work at 4 Volt, I don't know where to find it and the hardware modification as always specified by Artyhur I am not able to do it and therefore I keep it in the state it is
I also take this opportunity to thank everyone in this group.
73 Carmine
DB4PLE
positron
Urgestein

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 15. March 2021, 07:23:25 »

Hi,

I recently tried about 20 USB pen drives I collected in the last 20 yrs or so on the UHSDR: About 25% percent did not work. Some of them newer, some old. Most of them were in the range of 2 to 16GB, some smaller. I haven't tested any of the high capacity ones (32GB+) though.

The process described in the wiki documents to install the UHSDR bootloader via DFUSE can be used exactly in the same way with the firmware. Just grab the .dfu from the firmware folder instead of the bootloader dfu.

I.e. start the Sparrow with Band+ pressed (i.e. the button labeled Band-) and connect with DFUSE installed on Windows or the respective Linux tools.

Danilo
DF8OE
Administrator

Stellvertr. OVV I40, Jugend / Nachwuchsreferent

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: 15. March 2021, 08:11:32 »

For USB updates there seem to be three things important to notice on Sparrow:

1) swapped names of BAND- and BAND+
2) USB plug is not an A-type
3) USB power is 4V instead of 5V

Updates can be done using STLink like Artur tells or via DFU like Danilo proposes.

UHSDR is a living project which will step forward in the future. "To stay at the existing level" is a very bad decision.

vy 73
Andreas

Wenn der Wind des Wandels weht, nageln die einen Fenster und Türen zu und verbarrikadieren sich. Die anderen gehen nach draußen und bauen Windmühlen...
qrz.com-Seite von DF8OE
-----------------------------------------------------
>>>> Die Inhalte meiner Beiträge dürfen ohne meine explizite Erlaubnis in jedwedem Medium weiterverbreitet werden! <<<<
IK2JTU
Neuling

W questo FORUM!!!

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 16. March 2021, 15:27:23 »

Thanks to everyone for the various tips, found very useful for this matter, especially Andreas for having awakened that pinch of pride.
thanks and best 73 Carmine IK2JTU

P.S. updated in DFU mode with DfuSe
 1615907326201.jpg

DF8OE
Administrator

Stellvertr. OVV I40, Jugend / Nachwuchsreferent

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: 16. March 2021, 17:25:17 »

Hi Carmine,

welcome in the "Open Source World"  Congratulation for your staying energy which leads you to success. If you have any further questions - do not hesitate to use this discussion group!

vy 73 - have fun
Andreas

Wenn der Wind des Wandels weht, nageln die einen Fenster und Türen zu und verbarrikadieren sich. Die anderen gehen nach draußen und bauen Windmühlen...
qrz.com-Seite von DF8OE
-----------------------------------------------------
>>>> Die Inhalte meiner Beiträge dürfen ohne meine explizite Erlaubnis in jedwedem Medium weiterverbreitet werden! <<<<
IK2JTU
Neuling

W questo FORUM!!!

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 17. March 2021, 23:27:25 »

Quote from: DF8OE on 16. March 2021, 17:25:17
Hi Carmine,

welcome in the "Open Source World"  Congratulation for your staying energy which leads you to success. If you have any further questions - do not hesitate to use this discussion group!

vy 73 - have fun
Andreas

Thanks Andres for your availability. It will certainly be a point of reference.
Friendliness and best 73.
Ciao Carmine
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
Diskussions- und Newsboard des DARC-Ortsverbandes I40  |  allgemeine Kategorie  |  OVI40 SDR Projekt (English AND German discussions around OVI40 SDR project) (Moderators: DF8OE, DL1PQ)  |  Topic: OVI40 F7 Sparrow does not load firmware <- zurück vorwärts ->
Jump to: 

Login with username, password and session length

Es wird die Verwendung von Browsern die auf der "Blink"-Engine basieren und mindestens
1024x768 Pixel Bildschirmauflösung für die beste Darstellung empfohlen

Amateurfunk Die Beiträge sind, sofern nicht anders vermerkt, unter der folgenden Lizenz veröffentlicht:
GNU Free Documentation License 1.3 GNU Free Documentation License 1.3
verbindet!