logo
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
19. April 2024, 07:04:03

Home Help Search Login RegisterWIKIUHSDR Download

Amateurfunk Sulingen
Diskussions- und Newsboard des DARC-Ortsverbandes I40  |  allgemeine Kategorie  |  OVI40 SDR Projekt (English AND German discussions around OVI40 SDR project) (Moderators: DF8OE, DL1PQ)  |  Topic: GERBERS from UI_OVI40 <- zurück vorwärts ->
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
   Author  Topic: GERBERS from UI_OVI40  (Read 7501 times)
SP3OSJ

GERBERS from UI_OVI40
« on: 29. June 2018, 10:46:44 »

Hi,
colleagues from the project asked me to publish my materials OVI40.
Publishes the gerbers PCB of the OVI40 controller.
and file OVI40 controller design in Sprint-Layout 6.0
Please download:

EDIT by DF8OE: <Link temporarily removed because the contents does not match license>

Artur
« Last Edit: 01. July 2018, 06:41:39 by DF8OE » Logged
DJ0RG
Neuling

Noch neu

View Profile
Re:GERBERS from UI_OVI40
« Reply #1 on: 29. June 2018, 11:02:07 »

I'm new to this, and it is not my business, but is publishing internals really what you want to do at this point in time? I'm confused if this is coordinated with all stake holders, especially Andreas...
« Last Edit: 29. June 2018, 11:02:18 by DJ0RG » Logged
DF8OE
Administrator

Stellvertr. OVV I40, Jugend / Nachwuchsreferent

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: 29. June 2018, 11:23:45 »

Artur is not a member of our development team and what he is doing and writing and publishing is within his own responsibility

Artur can do this because it is HIS work - it is Open Source and it is NOT our Gerbers. Of course it is not an own development - he has "cloned" our original PCB and made some changes. His software allows to take a scanned image of a PCB for a starting point. I by myself call a layout which is completely different from others "own work" and something Artur has done is "cloning". But that is philosophical - we all can make our own thoughts about such things... It is of course not something that was intended by us (the developers) and we will not publish our Gerbers until the day we are no longer working on the project.

And, honestly, that is one reason I do not publish any detail about RF parts at this point. I do not want that PCBs of not ready developed, not working PCBs are available from sources that are not our "official sources" and we must discuss and support things that are not garbaged by us...

But let's talk about *real development* - not about cloning!

Artur, by the way: what is going on with your 23cm project? Everything is working fine  ??

vy 73
Andreas
« Last Edit: 29. June 2018, 11:46:04 by DF8OE » Logged

Wenn der Wind des Wandels weht, nageln die einen Fenster und Türen zu und verbarrikadieren sich. Die anderen gehen nach draußen und bauen Windmühlen...
qrz.com-Seite von DF8OE
-----------------------------------------------------
>>>> Die Inhalte meiner Beiträge dürfen ohne meine explizite Erlaubnis in jedwedem Medium weiterverbreitet werden! <<<<
DJ0RG
Neuling

Noch neu

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 29. June 2018, 12:02:20 »

Ah OK, then the "OVI40" naming for Artur's project mislead me into the wrong direction. Mea culpa! I thought that OVI40 is the name of your project for the Ortsverband I40, and not for the polish clone.

I appreciate (and actually admire) the original OVI40 work, thanks for this!
SP3OSJ

« Reply #4 on: 29. June 2018, 12:07:40 »

Why can not I publish my work?
Amateur Radio is a hobby and please treat it as such.
I do not have to earn money on my hobby works!
This is my choice

Andreas I'm glad you ask about it
I do not have MHC485 mixers up to 23cm (import from China)
Synthesizer ADF4350 works well controlled ATTiny13, is synchronization
and there is frequency.
Should be OK.
 aa.JPG

DF8OE
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: 29. June 2018, 12:10:34 »

Yes. Artur named his clone "OVI40"  .

You will only get ORIGINAL informations, PCBs, kits and so on via our pages amateurfunk-sulingen.de and from me (DF8OE). Maybe I will invite others at some point to help me but if this is the case I will publish that.

vy 73
Andreas

Wenn der Wind des Wandels weht, nageln die einen Fenster und Türen zu und verbarrikadieren sich. Die anderen gehen nach draußen und bauen Windmühlen...
qrz.com-Seite von DF8OE
>>>> Die Inhalte meiner Beiträge dürfen ohne meine explizite Erlaubnis in jedwedem Medium weiterverbreitet werden! <<<<
DJ0RG
Neuling

Noch neu

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 29. June 2018, 12:18:49 »

@Artur: Please don't take me too serious, I'm new and not experienced too much. For example, I was not aware that you copied and adjusted the OVI40, although I can read up this on this forum. My mistake!

The only thing I find "interesting" is that you use OVI40 name. But again: not my business, that is something between you and Andreas. Who, to my best understanding, has based OVI40 on the mcHF experience ;-)

Enough talked about this, I think all is clear now. Enjoy!
DF8OE
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: 29. June 2018, 12:22:08 »

Very interesting - Artur. Let's wait about the missing parts.

I am not on a so happy (??) position that I can earn my money with not amateur-radio related things. Actually 80% of my work is repair of amateur radio equipment, and OVI40 will be another project where I *must* earn money. Of course I never will get an adequate fee for hundreds of hours R&D - but that is not my wish. I only want to get a small fee and I am sure I will get that fee.

In detail:
When I compare the tracks of OVI40 original board and your board I see so many tracks that are identical or nearly identical to our PCB that I am not willling to call this "own work". It is a clone. And I would like it that you do not name it same way as "original" OVI40.

I suggest you call it something like "...based upon OVI40... ...modified by SP3OSJ..." so that nobody is misleading it is an original PCB.

vy 73
Andreas

qrz.com-Seite von DF8OE
DF8OE
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: 30. June 2018, 09:50:02 »

This is the first cloning of OVI40 and to show the possibilities I explain in short form

And yes: it is cloning not an "own work".

• It is allowed to take the schematics and design an own PCB.
  • It is allowed to publish the result if you follow the very simple rules of license (see next listing)
  • Regarding "Ham-Spirit": I by myself never would scan a PCB, do slightly modifications and call this "my own work". There are some snippets of own work (and it may be that they make fundamental difference in behaviour) - but I cannot call the sum "my own work". This Gerbers / the Sprintlayout  are the result of a scanning of original PCB which is slightly modified!

Very short list of what to do when you want to publish own work that you have done on OVI40:

• add the file containing the license text to your work
  • make clear (in textfile AND on PCBs, schematics e.g.) what is the base of this (where it is forked from) - e.g. "OVI40 - https://www.amateurfunk-sulingen.de/projects/ovi40-sdr/
  • make clear who is the publisher of this new work (in textfile AND on PCBs, schematics e.g.) - e.g. "reworked/improved/ by xxx yyy"

The reasons are very simple. Someone who finds the zip in the web must be able to see

• what license it has
  • where is the origin
  • who has published the files which are in front of him

But the intention of putting all to Open Source is not that as much as possible people clone the parts and publish slightly differed versions. The intention is to invite others to contribute their work. And as many OMs are already present in the "Hall of Fame" of UHSDR there will of course be a "Hall of Fame" of hardware, too. So Artur: if you want to contribute your 23cm PCB to the project you can publish everything about it within OVI40 (I am the maintainer and will add everything you want). You can put your name / callsign on every sheet you contribute. But it must integrate in Cern OHL - because every contribution must follow this license, too.

In fact Artur:

• there is no copy of the license in your zip
  • there is no sufficient information that makes clear what is the origin of this
  • there is no sufficient information who has published this

Informations must be in text form "as a file" within the zip AND shown on hardware production files (Gerbers, sourcefiles of PCB CAD) so that you can get the information when you simply see the PCB

Please remove the existent zip and add the neccessary informations. Or - better: contribute your work.

Regarding used CAD software:
Altium/Protel: very powerful, but expensive commercial closed-source-software for Windows.
KiCAD: free, powerful Open Source software, available for all platforms. Maintained by developer team of CERN. I use it (and recommend it) for contributing, because everybody regardles of PC operating system and money can use it.
Sprint-Layout 6.0: cheap closed source software for Windows system. Advantage is that you can use a picture of an existing PCB as base and simply copy the existing tracks. In German we call it "Malen nach Zahlen" and it is a good skill for children who cannot draw but want to draw.

vy 73
Andreas
« Last Edit: 01. July 2018, 06:54:12 by DF8OE » Logged

qrz.com-Seite von DF8OE
peter_77
Urgestein

THE mcHF and UHSDR forum !

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 01. July 2018, 10:18:27 »

Quote:
Yes. Artur named his clone "OVI40"
Strange. Are you sure ?
I thought he called it SParrow ?!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X17n4Rki7OU
(His mcHF clone is called Eagle)
http://sp3osj.kooikerhondje.com.pl/eagle/index.html
Btw. both are very nice designed, especially the cases, and work perfectly well.
« Last Edit: 01. July 2018, 10:20:09 by peter_77 » Logged
DF8OE
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: 01. July 2018, 10:31:28 »

Yes - there exist Sparrow and Eagle, too. Artur mixes up his own work and is cloning something (like OVI40 PCB), too.

I am very sad about this. Looking at Eagle and Sparrow, his 6m/4m project for mcHF, his 23cm project I can clearly see that Artur *can* design PCBs by his own. But "his OVI40 PCB" is a clone. You can see that when you compare our origin layout and his layout. It is *not* completely new but there are many tracks absolutely identical. That never would happen if you design a PCB by your own.

Additional there are the arguments about license regarding naming of the PCB, showing the origin of the project and the origin of the zip file. If Artur corrects these points I would not remove the link. But my definition of "Ham-Spirit" regarding the way the PCB was created is untouched... But that is only MY point of view.

vy 73
Andreas

qrz.com-Seite von DF8OE
dl2eea
schon länger dabei

Ich liebe meine Frau!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 01. July 2018, 18:03:22 »

I've just done a comparison with Arthur's version and I'm full of admiration. Very clean and correct performance. Congratulations Artur!
In my opinion, the version of Arthur is not a copy but it has been reworked and corrected. That's why talking about cloning is out of place.
Josef
« Last Edit: 01. July 2018, 18:34:24 by dl2eea » Logged
DF8OE
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: 01. July 2018, 18:38:20 »

Maybe that it works better or has improvements ( I wrote in my first answers). But that is not the permission to call it "own work".

At firmware all contributors must use GitHub. That is the base of contribution.

In Hardware is is another way. UI-PCB is copyrighted by DG8YGW and not Open Source. As I always wrote: PCB layout is the only thing you are not allowed to clone. So if Artur marks his "version" as I recommend I am willing to give him permission to publish in spite of that ~80% of the tracks are clones from DG8YGW's layout.

But - I hope you understand - I can not agree that Artur calls that "his own work".

Nothing against "reworked by...".

vy 73
Andreas
« Last Edit: 02. July 2018, 07:00:11 by DF8OE » Logged

qrz.com-Seite von DF8OE
SP3OSJ

« Reply #13 on: 01. July 2018, 23:13:52 »

Andreas, do not talk to me like that!
Why is your malice?
It's not better to do a project how to write such bad things?
I treated you like a brother.
I helped You so much:
1) You asked for my PCBs from other projects, I sent a PCB to you.
2) You asked for the company's address in China to produce PCBs and published them on the forum
3) You asked in a private email for gerbers files, I sent them to the forum for everyone and you got angry.
Why?
« Last Edit: 01. July 2018, 23:19:19 by SP3OSJ » Logged
DF8OE
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: 02. July 2018, 06:52:35 »

I am angry because of:

• there is no copy of the license in your zip
  • there is no sufficient information that makes clear what is the origin of this
  • there is no sufficient information who has published this

You *are* allowed to make your own PCBs. But please follow these very easy rules - that's all.

I asked for the Gerbers in a private email to see how the layout is comparing to our original. If I would have seen the amount of tracks which are nearly identical I would have talked to you in a private email correspondence.

Firstly I was not angry. I am the webmaster of this pages and all is running on my own server. So I can see if you have visited the pages after my first answer and you have - but no reaction for more than a day. So I must think you do ignore my writings. After that I was becoming slightly angry indeed...

Please follow the rules and everything is ok again.

vy 73
Andreas
« Last Edit: 02. July 2018, 07:04:46 by DF8OE » Logged

qrz.com-Seite von DF8OE
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
Diskussions- und Newsboard des DARC-Ortsverbandes I40  |  allgemeine Kategorie  |  OVI40 SDR Projekt (English AND German discussions around OVI40 SDR project) (Moderators: DF8OE, DL1PQ)  |  Topic: GERBERS from UI_OVI40 <- zurück vorwärts ->
Jump to: 

Login with username, password and session length

Es wird die Verwendung von Browsern die auf der "Blink"-Engine basieren und mindestens
1024x768 Pixel Bildschirmauflösung für die beste Darstellung empfohlen

Amateurfunk Die Beiträge sind, sofern nicht anders vermerkt, unter der folgenden Lizenz veröffentlicht:
GNU Free Documentation License 1.3 GNU Free Documentation License 1.3
verbindet!