logo
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
29. March 2024, 11:33:46

Home Help Search Login RegisterWIKIUHSDR Download

Amateurfunk Sulingen
Diskussions- und Newsboard des DARC-Ortsverbandes I40  |  allgemeine Kategorie  |  mcHF Projekt Deutsch / English (here you can discuss everything related to mcHF) (Moderators: DF8OE, DL1PQ)  |  Topic: RTC clock modification did not work <- zurück vorwärts ->
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
   Author  Topic: RTC clock modification did not work  (Read 1446 times)
peter_77
Urgestein

THE mcHF and UHSDR forum !

View Profile
RTC clock modification did not work
« on: 12. April 2021, 10:41:30 »

Team !

Did the RTC modification on a 0.6 UI board. Used the recommended 12,5 pF xtal
https://www.reichelt.de/uhrenquarz-metallgehaeuse-2x2x6mm-12-5pf-32-768-ms1v-12-5-p85040.html?CCOUNTRY=445&LANGUAGE=de&trstct=pos_0&nbc=1&&r=1
checked that xtal pins have definitely connection to CPU pin 8 (PC14) and 9 (PC15) (measured directly on the chip with Ohm meter)
M1 and F3 buttons are cut and redirected to D0 and D1 (measured directly on the LCD Display pins). 3,3 Volts under C82 cut as well.

So connectionwise there is all ok but the clock did'nt show up. As well as M1 and F3 did NOT work. 
Did the button test and that one still shows "initial 0001" instead of 0003 in the mod description.
I crosschecked this on another working RTC modified 0.6 UI board and to my surprise here the button test also shows "initial 0001" and M1 and F3 working fine.
Did the button test with the modified M1 and F3 buttons did not anymore show any differences to the standard, non RTC version ??

I wonder why the 2 redirected keys did not work cause despite from the fact if the xtal works or not the redirected keys should work.
Latest 2.12.0 and actual bootloader 5.0.4 is flashed and display in SPI mode.
Is there anything i can do (reset to defaults etc.) to trigger a new key discovery ?
Any help apprechiated...
« Last Edit: 12. April 2021, 11:28:40 by peter_77 » Logged
DF8OE
Administrator

Stellvertr. OVV I40, Jugend / Nachwuchsreferent

View Profile WWW
Re:RTC clock modification did not work
« Reply #1 on: 12. April 2021, 11:38:57 »

Hi Peter,

the buttons will work if the 3.3V supply is deteced && xtal is working && you have once powered down and up again using power button. If one of these steps are missing neither clock will appear nor buttons will work.

vy 73
Andreas
« Last Edit: 12. April 2021, 11:39:30 by DF8OE » Logged

Wenn der Wind des Wandels weht, nageln die einen Fenster und Türen zu und verbarrikadieren sich. Die anderen gehen nach draußen und bauen Windmühlen...
qrz.com-Seite von DF8OE
-----------------------------------------------------
>>>> Die Inhalte meiner Beiträge dürfen ohne meine explizite Erlaubnis in jedwedem Medium weiterverbreitet werden! <<<<
peter_77
Urgestein

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 15. April 2021, 18:07:00 »

Thanks for the feedback Andreas.
It sounds interesting and maybe thats a possible reason cause i soldered the xtal in and redirected the buttons in one step and tested both without the 3V from the battery.
But afaik the battery is not necessary to do the conversion its just for saving the time after power down, right ?

So do you mean with "3.3V is detected" that the 3V 3032 battery has to be mandatory installed BEFORE powering up ?
CPU pins 8 and 9 (PC14 and 15) have no connections directly to 3 volts these pins only have the xtal connected.
The former 3,3 volts is connected only to Vbat pin 6 which is now only connected by the battery and C82.
So do you mean the battery has to be mandatory connected to pin 6 (Vbat) to make the clock work ??
If you can throw some light on this would be very nice.

So what are then the correct steps to do proceed ?
Do i first have to remove xtal and proceed like the mod description says with first connecting the 3V battery then redirect the buttons and THEN power on into the button check and check the redirected buttons ?
If button test is good then power off and solder the xtal back in.

Is that correct ?
« Last Edit: 15. April 2021, 18:12:50 by peter_77 » Logged
DF8OE
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: 16. April 2021, 04:45:46 »

Battery is not only for buffering the clock - it is used to detect if the mod is present. We write a pattern to the battery buffered RAM and look if it is present after a power on. If not: no RTC mod present, if it is, mod is present.

vy 73
Andreas

Wenn der Wind des Wandels weht, nageln die einen Fenster und Türen zu und verbarrikadieren sich. Die anderen gehen nach draußen und bauen Windmühlen...
qrz.com-Seite von DF8OE
>>>> Die Inhalte meiner Beiträge dürfen ohne meine explizite Erlaubnis in jedwedem Medium weiterverbreitet werden! <<<<
peter_77
Urgestein

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 16. April 2021, 13:59:41 »

OK, means to me: battery has to be installed. I am going to check it and let you know....
peter_77
Urgestein

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 21. April 2021, 15:24:06 »

Clock still not working 
Checked battery at CPU pin 6 (Ubat) and 3.2 volts is present directly at the chip pin.
System Info menue shows status "yes" at RAM buffer battery.
I put an oscilloscope onto the xtal pins but coul'nt see any activity there. Only a voltage level of plus 1,5 volts with some spikes on it.
I doublechecked the xtal connection to pins 8 and 9 and all fine.
My guess is that the xtal is not working and hence the firmware did not activate the alternative buttons M1 and S3 and also did not show the clock in the display. Grrr...
I'll give it another try with another xtal and if that too will fail i'll give up and let the the board run without a clock. 
« Last Edit: 21. April 2021, 15:25:56 by peter_77 » Logged
DF8OE
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: 21. April 2021, 15:43:16 »

STM32 needs xtals with absolutely perfect characteristic fittings to the datasheet. Not every xtal is working! You only can measure with a 10:1 probe and you definitely must see 32.768 KHz at the xtal leads.

Good luck
Andreas

qrz.com-Seite von DF8OE
peter_77
Urgestein

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 24. April 2021, 12:48:22 »

Jepp i guess thats probably the point. I checked another brand new MS1V-12,5 xtal with the required specs but that did'nt work either. No 32,768 clock signal could be seen.
Anyway i gave up in the meantime and revert to the classical layout. The pcb dont get any better with always soldering on the pcb tracks and checking a bunch of xtals with trial and error.
Luckily the button test was fine and all is up and running now without the clock... 
But i can live with that... 
Case closed...
« Last Edit: 24. April 2021, 12:48:48 by peter_77 » Logged
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
Diskussions- und Newsboard des DARC-Ortsverbandes I40  |  allgemeine Kategorie  |  mcHF Projekt Deutsch / English (here you can discuss everything related to mcHF) (Moderators: DF8OE, DL1PQ)  |  Topic: RTC clock modification did not work <- zurück vorwärts ->
Jump to: 

Login with username, password and session length

Es wird die Verwendung von Browsern die auf der "Blink"-Engine basieren und mindestens
1024x768 Pixel Bildschirmauflösung für die beste Darstellung empfohlen

Amateurfunk Die Beiträge sind, sofern nicht anders vermerkt, unter der folgenden Lizenz veröffentlicht:
GNU Free Documentation License 1.3 GNU Free Documentation License 1.3
verbindet!