logo
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
19. April 2024, 03:32:19

Home Help Search Login RegisterWIKIUHSDR Download

Amateurfunk Sulingen
Diskussions- und Newsboard des DARC-Ortsverbandes I40  |  allgemeine Kategorie  |  mcHF Projekt Deutsch / English (here you can discuss everything related to mcHF) (Moderators: DF8OE, DL1PQ)  |  Topic: V6 new issue <- zurück vorwärts ->
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
   Author  Topic: V6 new issue  (Read 3329 times)
WD8BXS
alter Hase

View Profile
V6 new issue
« on: 04. June 2018, 21:49:21 »

Just finished a V6 build, all works well, but, getting high current on 40 meters only. Almost 3 amps for 9 watts.
Other bands are about 1.9 amps for 10 watts.

Any ideas ?

I removed C78 and no change.
Thanks,
Chuck

Thanks,
De WD8BXS vy 73
DF8OE
Administrator

Stellvertr. OVV I40, Jugend / Nachwuchsreferent

View Profile WWW
Re:V6 new issue
« Reply #1 on: 05. June 2018, 05:32:18 »

Misalignment (hardware) in PA or oscillating of PA I think...

vy 73
Andreas

Wenn der Wind des Wandels weht, nageln die einen Fenster und Türen zu und verbarrikadieren sich. Die anderen gehen nach draußen und bauen Windmühlen...
qrz.com-Seite von DF8OE
-----------------------------------------------------
>>>> Die Inhalte meiner Beiträge dürfen ohne meine explizite Erlaubnis in jedwedem Medium weiterverbreitet werden! <<<<
DF5LI
alter Hase

Ich liebe meinen SParrow !

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 05. June 2018, 08:44:49 »

You have removed C78, then the only remaining components for 40 m are in the 40 m LPF. You should carefully check those L's and C's. Also listen to the "Click"" of the relays, when you switch to 40 m.  And have a look on RFC 5 and 6. Maybe the drivers are oscillating on 40 m. I always change these chokes to a lower value with a higher self-resonating frequency.
« Last Edit: 05. June 2018, 08:51:00 by DF5LI » Logged

73,  Harri
WD8BXS
alter Hase

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 05. June 2018, 14:35:57 »

Interesting note about RFC5 and RFC6, what would be a solution for a replacement?

Thank,
Chuck

Thanks,
De WD8BXS vy 73
DF8OE
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: 05. June 2018, 15:41:54 »

I always take self-wound on small binos. Gives more output on hihjer bands, too.

But this are all "shots in the dark". Best is to connect 50R load directly after PA output transformer and take a look at the utput signal via scope.

vy 73
Andreas

Wenn der Wind des Wandels weht, nageln die einen Fenster und Türen zu und verbarrikadieren sich. Die anderen gehen nach draußen und bauen Windmühlen...
qrz.com-Seite von DF8OE
>>>> Die Inhalte meiner Beiträge dürfen ohne meine explizite Erlaubnis in jedwedem Medium weiterverbreitet werden! <<<<
WD8BXS
alter Hase

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 05. June 2018, 19:30:19 »

By signal scope do you mean spektrum analyzer?

I do not have one of those, sadly

If I use "O" scope it looks clean.

Thanks,
De WD8BXS vy 73
WD8BXS
alter Hase

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 05. June 2018, 19:56:49 »

Changed RFC5 and RFC6--No Change

Changes LPF coils--No Change

Changed the Finals--No Change

Changed R81 and R82 to 100 Ohms -- No Change.

Still drawing almost 3 amps on ONLY 40 meters.

Scratching my Head hihi

Thanks,
De WD8BXS vy 73
DF8OE
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: 05. June 2018, 20:06:26 »

If power gets in it 100% gets out somewhere 

I mean oscilloscope.

It is impossible that signal is clean AND there is not an output which is adequate to input power. It must be frequency dependent - otherwise it would be present at all bands.

vy 73
Andreas

qrz.com-Seite von DF8OE
WD8BXS
alter Hase

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 05. June 2018, 21:59:37 »

I do not understand.

Do you mean that I should see the same amplitude before the LFP and after the LPF ?

Thanks,
De WD8BXS vy 73
DF8OE
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: 06. June 2018, 05:29:17 »

No.

As I understood you have correspondent power in / power out combinations on every band except 40m. Right?

If so you have to look where your power goes.

First is to cut PA from LPFs because they are frequency dependent and it may be you have a LPF or LPF switching problem. Of course you have to add a load to PA output transformer!

If now both powers are corresponding as on other bands you are ready (problem in LPF or switching).

If not you must take a look at the signal coming out of PA. Is there something oscillating e.g. You have to look at the signal with an oscilloscope. May be you have overdriven your PA by power settings in PA menu? You quickly see that by oscilloscope.

vy 73
Andreas

qrz.com-Seite von DF8OE
WD8BXS
alter Hase

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 06. June 2018, 10:47:17 »

"As I understood you have correspondent power in / power out combinations on every band except 40m. Right?"

NO, I do have power out on 40 meters!, The drive levels in the PA menu for 5 watts look very similar on all lower bands, BUT on full power, the 40 meter setting has to be 2 TIMES the value of the others and it will not go above 8.5 watts!

"If not you must take a look at the signal coming out of PA. Is there something oscillating e.g. You have to look at the signal with an oscilloscope."

I did touch the scope to R26 and to C58, signals look clean.

Thank you for your patience with me, I am still learning hihi

Thanks,
De WD8BXS vy 73
DF5LI
alter Hase

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 06. June 2018, 11:35:07 »

Very strange!  You have changed L14, L18 and L22?  Did you have checked the caps in the LPF?  Try to make a bridge over the entire LPF for 40m. Remove C46 and C58, L14 and L22. Then solder a wire from the left pad of L14 to the right pad of L22.
So there is no LPF for 40m. If the problem persists, we have to look at T6 and T7....

(a friend of mine has managed it to solder 100nF instead of 470 pF for C57. The results are similar to your problem ;-))

73,  Harri
WD8BXS
alter Hase

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 06. June 2018, 12:49:43 »

Hello Harald,

I put the jumper in across  the LFP as per your suggestion, and that fixed it!!

I put NEW caps in and re-made the coils, re-installed, and back to the same issue!!

VERY strange!!  This is my 23rd build, not a novice to the coil winding etc... hihi

Thanks for your suggestions, keep them coming!!

de Chuck WD8BXS

Thanks,
De WD8BXS vy 73
WD8BXS
alter Hase

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 06. June 2018, 15:53:38 »

I just changed C58 to 100pf, that made everything look good!
What do you think??
Chuck

Thanks,
De WD8BXS vy 73
DF5LI
alter Hase

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 07. June 2018, 11:40:09 »

I think, you have made the cut-off frequency (and perhaps the output impedance) of the LPF a little bit higher, and now the 7 mc-signal will pass the filter. I always measure the inductivity of the coils with my L-meter and sometimes i have to reduce the number of windings a little bit (1 winding less). The T37-2 cores sometimes have different AL-specifications (+- 20%).

73,  Harri
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
Diskussions- und Newsboard des DARC-Ortsverbandes I40  |  allgemeine Kategorie  |  mcHF Projekt Deutsch / English (here you can discuss everything related to mcHF) (Moderators: DF8OE, DL1PQ)  |  Topic: V6 new issue <- zurück vorwärts ->
Jump to: 

Login with username, password and session length

Es wird die Verwendung von Browsern die auf der "Blink"-Engine basieren und mindestens
1024x768 Pixel Bildschirmauflösung für die beste Darstellung empfohlen

Amateurfunk Die Beiträge sind, sofern nicht anders vermerkt, unter der folgenden Lizenz veröffentlicht:
GNU Free Documentation License 1.3 GNU Free Documentation License 1.3
verbindet!